Another 2.6 i7 question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fireball Dragon, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Okay, so since ordering a 15" MBP (2.6 / 1TB / 460) I have been winding myself up, seeing if I made the right choice by not upgrading the CPU.

Because the 2.6 is the lowest CPU on the 15" MBs, and I have maxed out out the hard drive (almost) and GPU, have I made a mistake with the CPU?

Is the 2.6 i7 going to be pale in comparison to the other specs? Will the performance boost me far greater with 2.7 or 2.9? I have been looking at intel comparison charts and tbh don't understand most of the information there (it is quite extensive as you scroll down).

2. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

It really depends on how you use your MBP. I would say that in general the performance gains are minimal with CPU bumps and that SSD and RAM speed are more critical for noticeable performance increases.

3. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

I ordered 2.6GHz/512GB/460. I've occasionally questioned whether I should have bumped to 2.7GHz, but everything I've read suggests that it isn't really going to be noticeable for my use case, so I'm not so worried now. Upgrading the GPU will have a far more significant effect on what you can do with your MacBook than upgrading the CPU.

4. justyncuk macrumors newbie

Stay calm, don't panic, you've done the right thing. I've gone for the same spec as MF878 and IMO it's about the sweet spot in the range for the majority of 15" users.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It will make very little difference in most use cases, honestly don't sweat it it's the least important upgrade with modern macs the GPU and SSD speed will make more difference to you.

6. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Well, that is certainly reassuring responses. Probably what I needed to hear!

I have already delayed getting my new MacBook (initially ordered a 13" then changed my mind). Currently rocking a 12" MacBook, and really need the extra computing power now, so cancelling and reordering will mean another 2 week delay at least.

I have just been seeing so many buyers maxing out. Every YouTube review and even on here, and was wondering why that was the case.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Because those people are all either computer nerds who always max things out or being supplied with maxed out review units to give the best impression.