Another 2009 Macbook Pro Hard drive thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmorris17, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mmorris17 macrumors newbie

Hi guys I am sure this is starting to get old but I couldnt find all the answers to my questions in other threads and I have been searching for weeks now. I have decided to upgrade my machine so it might last a couple more years however in researching I've found that the 1.7 firmware has caused quite the issue for such upgrades. My problem is this. I dont want to just replace the hard drive I'd like to change the RAM as well (to 8GB) from best I can tell if I downgrade to EFI 1.6 then I cant do the full 8GB of RAM but if I don't downgrade I can't use a faster Hard drive like the Scorpio Black and am stuck with an OEM. Is this correct? Is there anyway I can do 8GB of RAM and a Faster Hard drive?

2. simsaladimbamba

I don't know if that is correct, but 2009 MBPs (I have one) could use 8 GB RAM from the start, and any 2.5" SSD and HDD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I had the same concerns about EFI with my mid-2009, but I installed a Momentus 500 GB with no problems at all on 1,7. I also have 8 GB of Crucial RAM.

4. mmorris17 thread starter macrumors newbie

so you have EFI 1.7 a seagate 500gb (is it the momentus xt? if not is it SATA II?) and 8GB of RAM? is yours the 5,5 model because that is what I have.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, I do in the 5,5 model. It's not an XT, because I read about issues with that drive (not really much faster and uses more battery).

6. mmorris17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have had the XT in my ps3 for about a week now and so far it has run like a champ... might be sucking more power though. I can't really tell on a PS3. I did notice that most of the complaints about the XT were from years past. It seems like they might have worked out the kinks but I could be wrong. I'm wanting something that suits my needs. I would like fast but also support a lot of multitasking. I have read the 500gb Scorpio Black is good for that but if it wont work...

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, it's possible the kinks are worked out. I decided to go ahead with my install after hearing from others here that said it worked for them.

You should try Other World Computing (OWC....google it) to see what drives they state are compatible. They have all the Macs and you can select yours and it'll show what they've come up for compatibility. You don't have to buy from them, but you can at least get part numbers and use that to make a better informed decision.

Edit: Here's an example (so now you don't have to Google):

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Se...rity|1&Ne=8050&N=6403+4294966986&Ntt=SATA+2.5

It's after I selected Samsung as the company. The Macs are in the left pane.

8. mmorris17 thread starter macrumors newbie

well if I did it right it appears the 500GB Scorpio Black is compatible so I guess I am going to pull the trigger on that one. Thanks for your help aggie.