Another 27" 2013 ram question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MiniD3, Sep 29, 2013.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

I have a maxed out 27" and my Daughter bought her 27 the same day but went for just 8gb ram instead, now wants 16GB! :)

-Does the iMac have 2 x 4GB cards installed or one 8GB
    -If there is 2 x 4GB, does Apple sell 4GB cards or only 8GB
    She is apprehensive about aftermarket ram so would prefer to buy from Apple
    ....Gary

2. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

The iMac comes with 2x4GB cards in the 8gb configuration. There is no need to worry about aftermarket ram as long as you buy from a reputable source. OWC and Crucial seem to be among the best. I just bought 32 GB from crucial for my late 2013 27" iMac.

3. Radiating macrumors 65816

agreed. also the 27" has 4 slots so you can do 2x4gb +2x4gb or + 2x8gb or anything inbetween

4. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you Guys,

Thats great news,
    Regards,
    Gary

5. bluescale macrumors member

Certain companies make RAM that is certified by Apple. Crucial is, in my opinion, has the best quality/value ratio of certified Apple RAM.

6. alhavel macrumors newbie

I maxed out with Crucial, I'm lovin it, inexpensive andDo it Yourself too!

7. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Will try and encourage to go for Crucial, certainly would be a whole lot cheaper
    ....Gary

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The RAM is not CERTIFIED BY APPLE and there is no such thing as CERTIFIED APPLE RAM. It is certified by the RAM maker itself to work with Macs. It means very little and in the past was usually an excuse to charge more for the same stick of RAM. These days it is a piece of mind for consumers who are not sure which memory fits into their Mac. As long as you buy memory with the correct specifications, then it will work on a PC or a Mac (and you can even go beyond those specifications and get higher Geekbench scores for bragging rights, but that is out scope of this discussion).

There is no hardware difference. It is so frustrating to see people spreading myths like these.

9. bluescale macrumors member

Fair enough...poor wording on my part. Are you suggesting, however, that all RAM that meets OEM specs is identical? QC is certainly an issue with many off brands. I stand by my recommendation to by RAM from a reputable company such as Crucial that warranties their RAM for life.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, all RAM is not identical due to binning and QC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning

Your recommendation is sound since some manufacturers are prone to create RAM sticks that are less reliable than others.

11. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3