another 2nd monitor question!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oriole6, Dec 7, 2013.

1. oriole6 macrumors newbie

I'm so confused... I bought a Dell Monitor so I can extend the display from my 2009 Intel Core2 Duo iMac. The iMac has a mini display port and the Dell monitor has a DVI-D with HDCP (dual link) port, a DisplayPort, and a VGA port. A cable with two DVI-D (single link) connectors plus a VGA cable were in the box. The resolution on both the iMac and the Dell monitor is 1920x1200 and I want to keep them the same. Isn't the DVI connection the way to go? Is there a problem that the Dell monitor is dual link and the cable single link? Most important, what adapter will I need to connect my iMac and the Dell monitor correctly?

2. supaman macrumors member

You need a mini displayport to displayport cable. You can get them from monoprice.com for a couple of dollars.

3. oriole6 thread starter macrumors newbie

solved!

Awesome, Supaman. Item ordered and such a simple solution. You wouldn't believe the trouble I had trying to get this answer from both Apple and Dell! :confused: Thanks so much!

4. supaman macrumors member

No problem, I am getting a 23" Ultrasharp for christmas so I have been researching the same thing. Post up a pic when you get it connected.