Another 3GS signal thread

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Groovytubes, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Groovytubes macrumors newbie

Just unlocked an iphone 3GS on 4.1 at 6.15.00 (it is the only thing that worked, and i tried literally EVERY OS from 4.1 to 5.0.1).

Now that it actually works, the signal is weak (3g is indeed off in general settings)

I've searched on here with no real definitive answers, is there a solution to the weak signal that T-Mobile has on the 3GS unlock? My 3G works perfectly fine with about 4-5 bars whereas the 3GS at best has 2 bars and frequently drops signal.

Thanks,
    GT

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Think you have a faulty phone. My 3GS works perfectly, five bars on Tmobile with an unlock from ultrasn0w.

3. Groovytubes thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's the thing, i put three AT&T sim cards all with 4-5 bar connections; however, when I put both mine and my moms tmobile sim card they both had 1-2 at best

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I don't think it is the phone issue. It is where you live which might have a weak T-Mobile signal.

5. Groovytubes thread starter macrumors newbie

Also a probable theory, but my personal 3G (the 3GS is my mom's) has 4 bars in the same room

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

What version software is your 3G running on? If its iOS 3.x, then that would explain the disparity in the signal. When iOS 4 was released, apple released an update that "corrected" the way that signal bars were displayed for different amounts of signal to noise ratio. Basically, anything below iOS4 would overestimate the amount of bars. This could be a reason your 3G is showing 4-5 bars and the 3GS is showing only 2-3. They both have the same signal, just the amount of bars is different.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

OP said in his original thread that he has 4.1 fw. :D