Another 3GS signal thread

Groovytubes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Just unlocked an iphone 3GS on 4.1 at 6.15.00 (it is the only thing that worked, and i tried literally EVERY OS from 4.1 to 5.0.1).

Now that it actually works, the signal is weak (3g is indeed off in general settings)

I've searched on here with no real definitive answers, is there a solution to the weak signal that T-Mobile has on the 3GS unlock? My 3G works perfectly fine with about 4-5 bars whereas the 3GS at best has 2 bars and frequently drops signal.

Thanks,
GT

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Just unlocked an iphone 3GS on 4.1 at 6.15.00 (it is the only thing that worked, and i tried literally EVERY OS from 4.1 to 5.0.1).

Now that it actually works, the signal is weak (3g is indeed off in general settings)

I've searched on here with no real definitive answers, is there a solution to the weak signal that T-Mobile has on the 3GS unlock? My 3G works perfectly fine with about 4-5 bars whereas the 3GS at best has 2 bars and frequently drops signal.

Thanks,
GT
Think you have a faulty phone. My 3GS works perfectly, five bars on Tmobile with an unlock from ultrasn0w.

Groovytubes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Think you have a faulty phone. My 3GS works perfectly, five bars on Tmobile with an unlock from ultrasn0w.
Well that's the thing, i put three AT&T sim cards all with 4-5 bar connections; however, when I put both mine and my moms tmobile sim card they both had 1-2 at best

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
What version software is your 3G running on? If its iOS 3.x, then that would explain the disparity in the signal. When iOS 4 was released, apple released an update that "corrected" the way that signal bars were displayed for different amounts of signal to noise ratio. Basically, anything below iOS4 would overestimate the amount of bars. This could be a reason your 3G is showing 4-5 bars and the 3GS is showing only 2-3. They both have the same signal, just the amount of bars is different.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
What version software is your 3G running on? If its iOS 3.x, then that would explain the disparity in the signal. When iOS 4 was released, apple released an update that "corrected" the way that signal bars were displayed for different amounts of signal to noise ratio. Basically, anything below iOS4 would overestimate the amount of bars. This could be a reason your 3G is showing 4-5 bars and the 3GS is showing only 2-3. They both have the same signal, just the amount of bars is different.
OP said in his original thread that he has 4.1 fw. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.