Another AEBS + Western Digital Setup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hrothgar, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I just got a WD MyBook Essential, and I have a few questions. I read some of the other threads, and they made me more confused. Here goes.

Stupid one first: Where is the product key for registration? I can't find anything on the box, device or packaging that says product key. None of the numbers that are there fit in the product key boxes on the registration page?

-- Can I use Time Machine with this, or does that only work with a Time Capsule?

-- Do I need to format this? I ran the Mimeo Life Agent installer, and it seems to be working.

-- When I set up the backup plan, I assume I choose "removable drive"? It asks for a location, but it doesn't offer any suggestions and there's nothing on the removable drive and the option for a new file is greyed out???

-- If I want to use the MyBook for both backup and to store my iTunes music folder, do I need to partition it?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I cannot help with registration. Sorry.
    Yes format it for mac os journaled then partition as you'll need to do this to use it for backup and iTunes. You don't need time capsule to use time machine.
    Otherwise I think you're set.

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Size Matters

How large is the WD MyBook Essential and how large is your computer HD and iTunes library? That may make a difference when planning your backups.

4. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

The Mybook is 1Tb. My computer's HD is 150gb with 64 gb available. My iTunes music file is 32 gb (Which is why I want to put it on the external).

Just curious, if I have to format the MyBook to work on the Mac, why does WD's installation instructions tell me to do this?

This is what I see when I open up Disk Utility
    Criminy, can someone tell me how to use "grab" to post a screen-shot?

But it shows two "memeo life agent" files (maybe they're drives?) and I don't see a format option other than in "Partition". and, um, I don't know how to partition. It says my current volume is "memeo life agent 2.2.100" and "this disk is not writable, can not [sic] be partitioned." What do I want to do?

Sorry, I'm starting from scratch here. I'm used to windows, where you plug something into the computer and it just works. :eek:

5. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

So last night I played with this and swung full circle:

I connected the MyBook directly to the computer. The computer asked if I wanted to set it up as my Time Machine. I said yes, and it appeared to perform the backup. This morning, I disconnected the MyBook from my computer and plugged it into the back of the AExtreme. I soon got a message that there was an error in the Time Machine/Backup. When I looked at the AE on Finder, it does show "Time Machine" and there seems to be a backup there. But I looks as if it wont work any more.

Any ideas? Please be detailed -- I can't seem to figure out how to format the MyBook. I have no idea how to create a Partition, or what I want to create.

Thanks.

6. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Dive was moved

You get the error message because you moved the location of the backup drive. Go to system preferences select Time Machine and then use the button to select the drive again. It should work just fine. Keep the external HD your using for Backup connected in the same place or it will not work. Also by connecting to it the AExtreme you can now also use the drive to backup other computers on your network if you would like. It won't be dependent on your computer being turned on. (the one it was connected to)

Hope that helps?