Another Aperture 3 Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcam216, Apr 22, 2011.

1. mrcam216 macrumors newbie

Hello guys and gals! I have a question. I'm sort of new to aperture 3. Have been using it for about 4 months now and I love it. But here is my question. I have a 2010 macbook pro 13 inch. (Bought it in jan used for $825 and I freakin love it!). But I have put the master raw pictures from my DSLR just anywhere on my cpu. Desktop, different folders etc. So now I only have about 30 GB's of space on my hard drive. So now I have an external hard drive and figured out that I can have the previews on aperture and just hook up the hard drive to the cpu to edit the pictures. This is a good idea going forward but my question is how can i get the pictures that are on my desktop folders to my external hard drive and have aperture be able to see where they are located. Now when i try to move them, I get like an error message in the picture in aperture basically stating that it does not know where the master picture is at. I don't want to just move them and re import them into aperture because i've edited a lot of pictures and do not want to have to re-edit them. Any advice on how to move them and have aperture find where I've moved them too while keeping the edited pictures in aperture? I hope i'm not confusing any of yawl by this long question and i very much appreciate the help!

2. toxic macrumors 68000

create a library, move it wherever, and have Aperture switch to that library.

3. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Two steps, I think.

Select all your photos in Aperture and File menu > Consolidate Masters.

This should move all the masters into the Aperture library.

You can then delete all the original files (keep a backup for now, just in case).

Then, select all your Aperture photos in aperture and File > Relocate Master to move them all to your external drive.

Disclaimer: I've not tried this.

Maybe try with a few photos first to check it does what you want it to.

4. shuttersp33d macrumors newbie

Relocate Master...

Actually all you have to do is select the images in Aperture then go to the File menu > Relocate Master...

In the next window choose your external drive (make a new folder if you want) and click Relocate Master.

Aperture will move the files to your external drive and, since you're doing all the moving with Aperture, Aperture will know the new location.

Easy Peasy. :)