(Another) Backpack Advice... Please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karatekidk, Sep 1, 2010.

1. karatekidk macrumors regular

Hi All. I have simply been struggling to find a right backpack to carry my MBP 13". Here is my situation.

1. I have been using a NorthFace Daypack (Hot Shot) for the past four years or so paired up with a AppleSac sleeve for my laptop. I can actually carry fair amount of stuff and a large water bottle on the side of the pack. I, however, really dislike a lack of padding at the bottom. It makes me nervous everytime I settle my backpack on the ground of hard floor.

2. I bought a NorthFace Surge after reading good reviews. I didn't like it because it doesn't have enough room for all my stuff, so I returned it.

3. I just tried Level 8 Atlas pack. Descent, but I can only carry a very small water bottle.

I read many threads about backpack on this site and searched quite a bit on internet, but I haven't find my perfect backpack.

I'd appreciate your input.

2. Anician macrumors member

Maybe check out Crumpler bags? I recently bought 'The Considerable Embarrassment' to carry my MBP. I'm waiting until I start university before I use it, but from what I've seen it seems to be a pretty solid bag with good padding and compartments and whatnot.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/

3. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Seems like the website is under renovation? Would like to check back again sometime soon.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

5. jb27 macrumors newbie

Tom Bihn Brain Bag with Brain Cell. Have one for my 15 MBP and I love it. The brain cell stays suspended in the backback so when you set it down hard, not even the brain cell his the ground.

6. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Seems to be a good quality pack. Does it have enough storage to carry textbooks and notebooks in addition to a laptop? Also, can that mesh pocket hold a 30oz Nalgene bottle?

Thanks!

7. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Ive had the LL Bean Rolling Deluxe Book Pack for like 5 years and it still lasts great. I use it almost every day during the school year and use it as a carry-on when I go on trips ((Planes-Buses)). Very reliable, worth the price, pretty water resistant. ETC. Its a good bag.

UPDATED I just realized you want it for a MBP. I use this bag to carry my 13 INCH Macbook and its great. It also has a lot of storage room for other crap. Its not necessarily a computer bag.

8. jb27 macrumors newbie

It has those straps in the middle of the back with a little sling on the bottom. I would think it would hold one of those bottles. A friend at work has one of those bottles, let me try it out tomorrow if hes in the office.

The backback is absolutely HUGE when you fully expand it. I fit textbooks, my MBP and my work laptop in there no problem. The straps on the side allow you to keep the pack collapsed or it lets you expand it.

The quality is superb and their customer service is great. I had a clip break and they sent me a new one free of charge.

I notice you're from the Northwest, if you're near Seattle, stop down to the store and check them out.

9. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

10. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

Heads up all, this person is looking for a backpack, not a shoulder bag.

I posted another thread about something similar:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1005785&highlight=booq

Consider the Booq Mamba Shift bag. It should suffice. I'm trying to find a hardsleeve for my MBP so I can place it into my backpack (older Lowe Alpine airzone pack) as the pack itself has no padding - wasn't designed for a laptop!

Anician: I have the same bag for the past 1.5 years. Have you encountered any problems with the padding at the bottom shifting? I hate it! It rolls out of position and doesn't provide any protection!

11. CreakyKnees macrumors newbie

I use a Vertical Brain Cell and carry it in my Osprey Kestrel 32 backpack. No problems fitting extra stuff in the pack. H2O bottles ride in the outer mesh pockets.

12. jb27 macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

13. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

14. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Also, thanks to the other ppl for suggestions. I will take a look at them!