Another Battery Question: Running Down Fast

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hrothgar, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

My last battery popped, and on Monday, Apple store gave me a new one. The lady told me that it was best not to keep the power connected all the time. So I charged it to 100% and pulled the plug. It runs down incredibly fast. This morning it's been unplugged for almost an hour, doing just a bunch of web searches, and it's already down to 37%. This isn't normal, is it? I was able to watch a 2 hour movie on a full charge for my old battery. Does the charge get better over time?

2. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I would try running it all the way down and seeing how long it lasts. Then charge it all the way back up. The battery may not be calibrated so your system may think it has less of a charge than it actually does.

If that doesn't work I would take it back. Also which MBP model do you have? (Which year?)

3. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

17". I think it's 3.5 years old.
    i'll try your suggestion tonight.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

to expand more on what jclardy was saying...when you get a brand new battery in a laptop, it's best to calibrate it first (charge it up to 100%, leave it at 100% for two hours, and then let it fully discharge (to the point where it shuts itself off). Once it is shut off, let your computer just sit there for at least 5 hours, and then plug it back in and let it charge up all the way. Sometimes new batteries won't display their percentage right until you calibrate the battery.

6. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Another thing you can do is to download coconut battery and check the health of your battery. The program will show you what the original capacity of your battery was, and what it is currently. Take a look at that, and post back your results, and then we can decide whether or not you'll need a new battery or not. Cheers :D