Another battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by guido.coza, Jan 12, 2011.

1. guido.coza macrumors member

Hi Guys
    My now antique Ibook G4 just doesn't wonna give up working.
    I normally let it run on the Power adapter. Last week I thought it might be a good idea to let the battery drain fully and than charge it up again.
    Since than the battery doesn't wonna charge fully
    I put the charger in; the light turns from green to red but than after 2-5 min it goes back to green again. It does that, never mind if the battery is 48% full or 74%.
    Is this a charger fault, battery problem or software setting???????
    I first thought it might be a heat switch in the charger but its the same if I cool the charger with a external fan!!?

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Your problem will more than likely be the battery is fubar. Download coconut battery. This will tell you the health of your battery.

Post a screenshot, i'd like to see your cycle count for an old machine :)

3. guido.coza thread starter macrumors member

Hi Msjones
    It seems you are right The bat is loading but not fully anymore have a look
    thanks for the help(-:
    P.S will i partially improve the battery with letting it go down or should i keep it always on the charger????

Attached Files:

4. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

232 load cycles for 65 months is pretty impressive. I'm not sure there is much you can do to resolve your problem. If you intend on keeping the iBook you could invest in a new bettery. You can pick these up from ebay. I got one for a friend a few months back and that came to about £35 in the UK.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery needs regular use to stay healthy. You should also calibrate your battery, to make sure your readings are accurate.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

6. guido.coza thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for your help seems i'll need a new battery, but I just can't my little shleppy just jet (-: