Another battery thread 7.0.4. Please read.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bluewomble88, Nov 27, 2013.

1. bluewomble88 macrumors regular

Sorry for new thread.

My iPhone 5 keeps losing around 8% chunks of battery life at various points. 28% to 21%, 18% to 10%, 37% to 30% etc.

My phone is 14 months old. Is anyone else getting this? It worked fine on iOS 6. Does 7.1 make a difference?
    I can't keep going to the Apple store as it's so far away and really inconvenient.

Any ideas??

So frustrated.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Have you tried a restore?

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

14 months old? If a complete, clean restore doesn't help, then, it might be a first-batch device, meaning it's likely to have a faulty battery. Mine also did; the local GSM operator just exchanged it for one manufactured in June/2013. I have no problems with 7.0.4 (after a clean restore from 7.1b1).

That is, if you further have such problems, take it for service (hope you have extended warranty).

4. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

I last restored when upgrading to 7.
    It takes 2 hours to put everything back on after a restore so I'm not doing that every time a new version comes out.

5. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Yes 7.1 makes a big difference as far as battery life goes. At least it does for me.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Since it didn't have the issue on iOS 6 I'll assume there is no issue with the battery itself, but if it were mine I would get to the Apple Store at some point to have it checked out. That behavior sounds like an application misbehaving unless you can line up those events with a particular location (low signal).

With that said:
    1. If you haven't already, reset the phone (hold sleep and hold buttons until Apple logo appears)
    2. It's the restore - delete your backup, back up the phone, then restore it again (preferably iCloud but try both iCloud and local backups)
    3. It's still the restore - back it up and then restore as a new phone, do not restore from your backup, then install your apps manually

Unfortunately the problem is specific to your phone and you have to do the heavy lifting. It may be as easy as one app is causing the problem, e.g., Facebook, and you'll need to figure out when the battery drain starts when you launch it or it starts to run a background process. If something in your backup is causing it then step #2 above may help. If the backup can't be restored without the battery drain you must start from scratch.

I wouldn't expect 7.1 b1 on your existing setup to fix it, but that does a restore which may be what fixes it. Whatever direction you go, good luck!

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

7.1 is very good. Battery life is improved, animations are faster, and it's an overall smoother experience. I keep forgetting its a beta.

But it sounds like you have a hardware problem, not software. Bring your phone into an Apple store and they can check the battery health and fix it. If not, as long as you have AppleCare (since the 12 month warranty expired), they might be able to replace it.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Try resetting all settings and network settings if you don't want to restore. Chances are if you take it to the Apple store they are going to restore it anyway since that seems to resolve most issues.

9. imagineadam, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Almost the exact same. My iphone 5 is from December last year. Ios 6.1 was fine. I was jailbroken since February and things were fine. I would get 6-8 hours on wifi with regular use like web browsing, Facebook, tweetbot. Just light usage things. I decided to take the plunge with ios 7 and now I'm barely getting 5 hours usage with the same usage patterns. And yes today I've noticed my battery will drop in about 8% chunks when the battery is getting in the lower range. Its got to be a software related problem with the battery algorithm. I restored and started as new. And also have calibrated the battery and it still happens. Hopefully 7.1 is better! Why did I lose my jailbreak for this?!?

10. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I noticed my big 8% chunk drops happened when I left the house and was on lte and my brightness went to full blast. I was at like 28% then it went to 18% then down to 7%. Now that I'm back home (back on wifi with probably 35% brightness) it's just been sitting at 7% for a long time. So this tells me the battery algorithm must be wacky. And remember I have calibrated my battery by running it down and charging to full a few times so it isn't that. I had a battery app that showed me that I had 395 cycles on my battery. But it was still holding nearly 1340mAH of power and I was still getting great battery life then on my jailbroken ios 6.1. The ios 7 is just sucking the battery more no doubt about it. Maybe that's why they increased battery capacities in the 5c and 5s to compensate. Us iphone 5 owners will probably have to just live with 1-2 hours less usage I guess. It sucks!

11. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I don't know if it's just me but for some reason, starting this week, on my iphone 5 and ipad air, I've been losing a lot of battery and not getting anywhere close to what I used to get say a month ago. Right now I'm on my ipad air, I charged it to 100% and I'm down to 96% after 29 minute usage and 1 hour 4 minutes standby. It seems like it just isn't lasting as long. Is this an iOS 7 problem?

12. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

same here, I barely used the phone yesterday...left the house around noon and came back around 2 and I had barely any juice...I closed a lot of the background running stuff and plugged the phone in....left the house again @6p and the phone was at halfway by 9p and I wasn't on the phone cause I was in the pool swimming. thank goodness i have a mophie juice pack because this is crazy. hopefully 7.1 will be better.

13. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

14. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

YES YES YES!!!!! finally someone experiencing what I'm experiencing. There is a major battery glitch in 7.0.4. Sometimes my phone even shuts off from dead battery when it just said it had 37% left, no low battery warning or anything. My phone is also exactly the same age as yours. Also, sometimes when I plug it in the battery meter instantly jumps over 10%. It's been very erratic.

15. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Which iPad do you have???

16. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

The rMini. Freaking love this thing.

17. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Well. I wish that I never saw that post because before that my iPad 3, upgraded from a worn down iPad 2, seemed to have really good battery with 10 hours. It is still better than my old 4 hour iPad 2 battery but now I want a rMini or iPad air even more than before :eek:

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

My iPhone 5 with IOS 6 drops from 17% to auto shutdown.

This is not just an IOS 7 issue.

19. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

rMini and iPad Air will give you similar battery life with iPad 3... I have rMini, Well the screen is impressive, the battery life is about same with last year iPad mini...at least that is what I experienced....

20. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

OP, I had a similar problem with my iPhone 5 and my phone is also 14 months old, however I am running iOS 7.0.4 (VZW). I have Applecare Plus and I was chatting with a Apple rep on their site and they sent me an email to run diagnostic on my phone. Turns out my battery was bad, I took it in to the Apple store and got my battery replaced without paying a dime thanks to Applecare. You may want to see if it's a hardware issue? I get great battery life now!

21. imagineadam, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Reset all settings then drain battery all the way down till it shuts off. Then charge for 4 hours or overnight. So far it been back to a normal rate of decline with my i5 7.0.4.

This is after hours of pulling my hair out and freaking out searching every apple forum known to man!! Turns out I think some of the people are right about it being a battery calibration issue. I still don't like the fact that Apple introduces a bunch of knew features and then you need to turn basically all of them off in order to achieve battery life comparable to ios 6!

Here's my stats in the pic below. The percentage meter has been going done mostly like it used to but maybe a little faster at first then before. I'll report back if I start getting the big chunk drops which seemed to occur around this time and below 30%. I'm getting 1-2 hours less usage from ios 7 but at least my meter isn't as screwed up anymore.

Attached Files:

22. imagineadam, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

So far so good! The battery percentage meter seems to be working like it used too again! Got a pretty typical battery result for usage and I watched the meter drop down without making big jumps. :)

Attached Files:

23. MDDUCKMAN macrumors newbie

I had a 14 month old iPhone 5, and noticed recently (last month or so) that the battery was draining rapidly. It would shut off sometimes at 30% and would lose large chunks at a time as others have pointed out. When I upgraded to iOS7, my battery life seemed to actually improve (this was prior to the issues above that I have been having). However, once I went to 7.0.3, I really started to notice poor battery life.

I don't have AppleCare, so I decided to make an appointment at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store near me. While I was in the store waiting, I sent my wife an email with a photo attachment that was about 2 MB, and the battery dropped over 20%. I knew something was wrong (I have just about everything turned off that could cause excessive battery drain).

They ran a diagnostic on my battery and said that it was at the end of its lifecycle - i.e. in really bad shape, and needed to be replaced. They told me they could put a new battery in my phone for $79. Said it would take about 20-30 minutes. I left, then came back and it still wasn't ready...and I waited, and waited and waited...FINALLY, they came out with a white box, along with my phone, and said they tried to put a new battery in my existing phone, and it didn't work properly. Therefore, they would give me a replacement phone for $79 (apparently normally it costs $239). I know there has been some question about whether these phones are refurbished or not...I have no idea, BUT this new phone has been holding the charge WAY better than my old phone. I'm running 7.0.4. I generally can go all day without having to charge (about 6 - 7 hours of usage and 18+ hours of standby). Plus, now I can run the battery down to 1% and it still won't shut off by itself. The guy at the store suggested I actually turn off my phone two or three times a week - said it helps overall with my phone.

My point is this - if you're having the types of issues that are detailed in this thread, you should at least take your phone in and have them run diagnostics on it. You could be the same situation that I"m in - I plan on getting the new iPhone next year and this replacement iPhone 5 will hold me over till then, hopefully with no issues. That was $79 well spent, in my opinion...well worth it to have my normal battery life back.

Good luck!

24. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

[​IMG]

Yep, battery life on the iPad is this awesome.

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That's great!

OT: I broke my launch day iPhone 5 screen when it was about a year old and I took a white box replacement because it was faster than waiting for them to replace the screen. The newer iPhone 5 (post April 2013 or so) supports more cellular bands. My replacement was one of the newer ones so the resell value increased. If you're curious you should see if you also received a newer one. :)