Another battery thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonHB, Apr 28, 2017.

1. JasonHB macrumors regular

Hi All

Not your normal thread about battery life but I have an iPhone 7 and I am concerned about the battery usage of Safari.

Today, for example, my battery stats report Safari - 36 minutes on screen and 25% of battery usage.

However, I've been listening to music and streaming some of that as well for 4.3 hours via AirPods and that has only used 17%.

I'm not at all unhappy with my battery life overall, just am amazed at how much Safari batters the battery.

The results are very similar on my iPad Pro, if not worse.

Would love you hear your opinions and suggestions.

Jason

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I think that anything that has the screen on that long will drain the battery. Look into the screen settings if you are concerned.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Opinion?

You are probably not going to like my opinion, but here it is anyway. Use a different browser.

I hate Safari/Webkit on every platform that it runs on. I use Firefox/TenFourFox on my Macs and Dolphin on my iDevices. Always been more of a Mozilla person than Webkit.

That's my opinion. I have no suggestions if you are intent on still using Safari.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Aren't almost all browsers on iOS Safari based, just with their skin or 'flair'?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That could be the case. I may be wrong. But again, if Dolphin is Webkit, then in my opinion, it does a better job at it than Safari.

Dolphin won't reload tabs on you for instance, if you leave the browser and come back.

8. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

And with FF you can do a few things Safari won't, but if you want to 'tame' Safari, well I have 5 ad blocker extensions. Ads can be running scripts and a weak entry point.
    I would not run a browser without those.