Another battery thread

JasonHB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Hi All

Not your normal thread about battery life but I have an iPhone 7 and I am concerned about the battery usage of Safari.

Today, for example, my battery stats report Safari - 36 minutes on screen and 25% of battery usage.

However, I've been listening to music and streaming some of that as well for 4.3 hours via AirPods and that has only used 17%.

I'm not at all unhappy with my battery life overall, just am amazed at how much Safari batters the battery.

The results are very similar on my iPad Pro, if not worse.

Would love you hear your opinions and suggestions.

Jason

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I think that anything that has the screen on that long will drain the battery. Look into the screen settings if you are concerned.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Opinion?

You are probably not going to like my opinion, but here it is anyway. Use a different browser.

I hate Safari/Webkit on every platform that it runs on. I use Firefox/TenFourFox on my Macs and Dolphin on my iDevices. Always been more of a Mozilla person than Webkit.

That's my opinion. I have no suggestions if you are intent on still using Safari.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Opinion?

You are probably not going to like my opinion, but here it is anyway. Use a different browser.

I hate Safari/Webkit on every platform that it runs on. I use Firefox/TenFourFox on my Macs and Dolphin on my iDevices. Always been more of a Mozilla person than Webkit.

That's my opinion. I have no suggestions if you are intent on still using Safari.
Aren't almost all browsers on iOS Safari based, just with their skin or 'flair'?

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County

IowaLynn

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2015
And with FF you can do a few things Safari won't, but if you want to 'tame' Safari, well I have 5 ad blocker extensions. Ads can be running scripts and a weak entry point.
I would not run a browser without those.

Reactions: eyoungren