Another Bent iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by velibor, Jun 20, 2013.

1. velibor, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

velibor macrumors newbie

Never put my phone in my back pocket, never had opportunity to step on phone (I always put it under the couch, or on the side of my bed I don't walk on to avoid this.) Yet somehow it got pretty severely bent, I didn't even notice because it was in the case, but the screen started coming off and I was having problems with reception so I took it in and they showed me it was bent. Phone is in my pocket a lot while biking, but this isn't an excuse for a 600 dollar phone to bend. I didn't think much of the issue until I looked online and heard people were having similar problems and the main weak spot seems to be right next to the button volume button, which is exactly where my developed a previous unexplained crack. I read that it could be the battery expanding, which I'm hoping is the case as it seems this is the only way Apple will replace it, although they didn't bother to check at the store. I was having problems with the battery draining itself within an hour even if the phone was locked and in my pocket, but it resolved itself although the battery still acts strange sometimes.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/xn.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/1ocf.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/4i1i.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/q5ln.jpg

Edit: Got the phone replaced. The guy who replaced it said he saw a phone bent out of the box before and had no problems exchanging mine. It probably also helped that my sister went in instead of me. Good luck to anyone having this issue.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This thread is virtually useless without pics.

3. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

1. Your join date of today might suggest you're a troll.
    2. If you're not a troll, riding your bike with your phone in your pocket would certainly exert a lot of force on your phone if you do any serious riding or are a skinny-jeans-wearing hipster.
    3. More importantly though, who does this?

4. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

yes because objects bend by themselves..

go look at Newton;s laws. it should help you a bit :rolleyes:

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Confused.... He puts his iphone under a couch ? Why not on top of a table ? Nutty in my opinion. This thread is going no where fast. This guy just wants us to agree it was a battery expanding issue so he can get another phone that he bent himself.

One can bend a phone, specially the iphone if one puts it into his front pocket and rides a bike. Leg bends upward while biking, increasing the tension on the pants, and what ever is in the pocket, which is probably what happened and now he wants a free phone...

6. cynics macrumors G4

Here we go again. OP the iPhone 5 is more susceptible to bending and staying bent due to the nature of its design. It needs to be treated more carefully then previous models.

A lot of people here will call you a troll or something for bringing this up. I have a friend with a bent 5 but it still works fine and he's still using it.

7. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's Apple... you know... "Magical & Revolutionary"

9. velibor thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill upload pics in a few minutes, charging my camera.

I know it sounds weird, putting it under the couch, but its a lot better then the table cause stuff always get spilled on the living room table. Like I said biking should not be an excuse for a phone to bend enough for the screen to begging popping out. Certainly didn't happen with my iPhone 4. Even if the phone was susceptible to getting bent from everyday use, Apple should at least acknowledge I would have had not problem with saving my $200 dollar upgrade and keeping my old iPhone knowing at least it wouldn't bend in my pocket.

10. rockitdog macrumors 68020

See, Apple does innovate. They were the first to really have flexible displays :p

11. velibor thread starter macrumors newbie

lol:(

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Possibly OP inadvertently allowed Uri Geller to handle his phone.:rolleyes:

13. velibor thread starter macrumors newbie

I never said the phone bent itself, even if it did bend from being in my FRONT POCKET (which is probably did) this isn't an excuse where the **** else would I keep my phone.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That explains it right there. Biking a lot with the phone in your pockets.
    A $600 phone is not an indestructible device.
    Its very thin and with many many sensitive electronic components.
    Obviously it doesn't happen on its own without external stress.
    Pay the $229 replacement fee and take it as a lesson learned.

Its up to you to figure that out.
    Or keep paying for new phones.

15. velibor thread starter macrumors newbie

I was ready to accept this fact, expect after looking into the issue and seeing that a lot of the phones with the same issue have a crack right at the lower volume button from pressure of the bend, so there is obviously a weakness in the frame at that location. I've had my iPhone 4 for a lot longer and it was put under way more stress (old pants had way tighter pockets) and it didn't even have a case, but it was unbent, and fully functional till the day I sold it. All the pants I've had my iPhone 5 had been loose fitting.

Theres no way in hell I'd buy another iPhone 5, if I do end up having to get the replacement I'm definitely reselling it.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but there's always going to be a weakness in the phone at a certain place that will reach its breaking or bending point if you apply enough pressure to it. Its just a cellphone. The iphone 4 and iphone 5 are different as you can see.
    The back piece of the iphone 4 wasn't metal and the whole design is different, thinner, longer etc...
    Metal will bend, glass will break/shatter.

17. velibor thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I should expect a 600 dollar phone to bend in my pocket from everyday use (how many people bike to and from work.)

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I guess according to your experiment it does bend if you put enough force while on a bike and in tight pockets.
    Glad you realize it's everyone else's fault but yours...

19. velibor thread starter macrumors newbie

*loose fitting pockets

20. AFDoc, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

I understand about not wanting to lay it on a table.... I simply put it on something so it's not on the table top.... your solution of putting it under the couch seems a bit weird and I don't even know how that became a better option than simply elevating the phone above table top level.

As far as the screen/bending issue. 100% user caused and it's NOT susceptible to bending with every day use..... know how I know this? I am witness to no less than 5 iphone 5's in every day life and not one has bent. That tells me that those that do bend are subjected to extraordinary forces and not simply "every day" use. Take care of your $700 phone and it will take care of you.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means"
    Again, I have biked, climbed, moved items, ect ect and have never bent my phone. I use a bumper nothing more. That is every day use..... doing something that causes it to bend is NOT every day use.

21. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What does the price of an electronic device have to do with its resistance to abuse? Is it advertised as "tough", "waterproof", or "mil-spec"?

It's just a consumer grade phone. People have been breaking cell phones as long as they have been around. Think the old 3lb bricks could stand a fall on concrete? Nope. I was selling phones starting in the late 80s and I've seen it all.

Take some responsibility and move on with your life.

22. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Actually I was thinking just the same as you, but then, on second thoughts, one shouldn't forget the iPhone's a mobile phone and hence by definition destined to be your every day, all the time companion.

And if any electronical devices should be more resistant to such damages than others, it's mobile phones, right?

But of course you shouldn't confuse price with the level of resistance. I remember basically playing football with my mobile phone back in 2005 and that one had cost me about 30 euros.

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I bike with my phone too but it's in a hip pouch AND because of sweat, it's placed on the compartment AWAY from my body.

Anywhoo u complaining about $600 should do more?

My $25,000 Honda I find out, has a plastic bumper, PLASTIC! OMG, I think if I punch it hard enough I can put my fist through it. When I got it scratched, they wanted over $1,200 to repair it! So complaining that money doesn't buy enough? take a number.

24. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

25. velibor thread starter macrumors newbie