Another bootcamp question

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Hi folks,

I have bootcamp with win7 running just fine. I don't like having to reboot in to windows though. Using VMWare, Parallels, etc. is it possible for me to load Win7 without reboot (using the partition I have setup) ?

I know I can install VMBox and have an image instead of partition but I want low level (native) support for direct3d and such.

Thanks for any info!

stempsons

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2014
Hi folks,

I have bootcamp with win7 running just fine. I don't like having to reboot in to windows though. Using VMWare, Parallels, etc. is it possible for me to load Win7 without reboot (using the partition I have setup) ?

I know I can install VMBox and have an image instead of partition but I want low level (native) support for direct3d and such.

Thanks for any info!
i'm using parallels 9 to do exactly that. parallels will run your existing boot camp partition of windows 7 in a virtual machine from your osx desktop.

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Great, thank you!

Now the question is which is better Parallels or VMWare? I *think* VMBox will not do such a thing. I am leaning towards Parallels myself, seems like more mac people use it than VMWare.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Great, thank you!

Now the question is which is better Parallels or VMWare? I *think* VMBox will not do such a thing. I am leaning towards Parallels myself, seems like more mac people use it than VMWare.

Parallels is more consumer-oriented and has better graphics support.

VMware is more corporate/enterprise and IT-oriented and more secure. It's also said that VMware can provide more raw computing power than Parallels does.

In VMware, you can lock down VMs and restrict access to it, as well as setting VMs to expire/self-destruct after a set period of time.

Personally I prefer VMware over Parallels.

VMware does allow you to boot from your Boot Camp partition do. There's nothing that Parallels can do but VMware can't. In fact, there's things that VMware can do but Parallels can't.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Can you confirm that Parallels runs i.e. a GTX (PC) native when running Windows in vm? VM Fusion only runs with a VMware SVGA 3D driver.
Parallels does not use native graphics either. Rather, it uses a form of emulated graphics just like VMware for DirectX support.

The difference is that VMware only supports DX9 while Parallels has beta support for DX10.

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Parallels does not use native graphics either. Rather, it uses a form of emulated graphics just like VMware for DirectX support.

The difference is that VMware only supports DX9 while Parallels has beta support for DX10.
Followup:

Do you know if these non-native drivers are in use when I boot into Windows7 (i.e. via reboot without Parallels) I hope not...

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
There are dozens of Parallels vs VMware threads in these forums.

I've been a Parallels user for the past 5 years and have no complaints aside from the fact that their upgrade pricing is expensive. However, it's gotten more stable with more added features in every revision.

There's nothing that Parallels can do but VMware can't.
These statements seem rather contradictory. :p