Another bootcamp question

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by CarreraGuy, Apr 6, 2014.

1. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Hi folks,

I have bootcamp with win7 running just fine. I don't like having to reboot in to windows though. Using VMWare, Parallels, etc. is it possible for me to load Win7 without reboot (using the partition I have setup) ?

I know I can install VMBox and have an image instead of partition but I want low level (native) support for direct3d and such.

Thanks for any info!

2. stempsons macrumors regular

i'm using parallels 9 to do exactly that. parallels will run your existing boot camp partition of windows 7 in a virtual machine from your osx desktop.

3. CarreraGuy thread starter macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Great, thank you!

Now the question is which is better Parallels or VMWare? I *think* VMBox will not do such a thing. I am leaning towards Parallels myself, seems like more mac people use it than VMWare.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Parallels is more consumer-oriented and has better graphics support.

VMware is more corporate/enterprise and IT-oriented and more secure. It's also said that VMware can provide more raw computing power than Parallels does.

In VMware, you can lock down VMs and restrict access to it, as well as setting VMs to expire/self-destruct after a set period of time.

Personally I prefer VMware over Parallels.

VMware does allow you to boot from your Boot Camp partition do. There's nothing that Parallels can do but VMware can't. In fact, there's things that VMware can do but Parallels can't.

5. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Can you confirm that Parallels runs i.e. a GTX (PC) native when running Windows in vm? VM Fusion only runs with a VMware SVGA 3D driver.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Parallels does not use native graphics either. Rather, it uses a form of emulated graphics just like VMware for DirectX support.

The difference is that VMware only supports DX9 while Parallels has beta support for DX10.

7. CarreraGuy thread starter macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Followup:

Do you know if these non-native drivers are in use when I boot into Windows7 (i.e. via reboot without Parallels) I hope not...

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope, they won't be used.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

There are dozens of Parallels vs VMware threads in these forums.

I've been a Parallels user for the past 5 years and have no complaints aside from the fact that their upgrade pricing is expensive. However, it's gotten more stable with more added features in every revision.

These statements seem rather contradictory. :p