Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
I'm currently on Sprint with an upgrade due right now and my contract ends in August. I really want an iPhone and have been since the first one was released, but I've been watching MacRumors and it's obvious there i an iPhone 5 of some sort coming but no one knows when. Any suggestions on what you would do?

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
As stated, despite the fact that the iPhone 4 is a very nice phone still, it'd be silly to purchase one new at this point with a refresh imminent.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Does the current iPhone meet your needs?

One of my friends just called a few hours ago because she was excited that she finally bought an iPhone, I asked her if it was an iPhone 4 (so that we could FaceTime), nope, she bought an iPhone 3GS.

I asked her why, she told me that for what she would use it for the 3GS is good enough (her husband has an iPhone 4 and she still preferred an iPhone 3GS).

My point, some people don't need the latest and greatest and are satisfied with what is currently available.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Well i'm 19, just finished my first year of College, I'm in love with technology and I have everything outside of a smartphone. I'm currently using a 4 year old feature phone on sprint. I've been dying to get a smartphone but until now my parents would not let me get off their plan. (Long story short dad has old plan you can't get anymore before 3G and so on and won't update(gay)). I will use whatever phone I get to the fullest extent possible, it will be utilized in my daily task very well, so yes I will use the hell out of whatever I get. It seemed silly to me as well but I live 700 miles away from my girlfriend and she would shoot me if I let my phone contract end under my parents and sat without a phone for a month. Ive been eyeing the Evo 3D, but I'm afraid to dive into that and regret it, since I want the iPhone so badly. All these phones makes it so overwhelming to choose one.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Looks like you're stuck in little bit of a pickle. If your parents won't let you out of their plan, then it appears as though you're stuck with Sprint. However, if you can leave your parent's family plan, and go with AT&T or Verizon, I would definitely get the iPhone 4 now. Yes, you could wait for the next refresh of the iPhone, but if the 4 services your needs now, then I would get it. Plus, you can always sell the 4 to fund your purchase for the next iPhone if you want.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Well i'm 19, just finished my first year of College, I'm in love with technology and I have everything outside of a smartphone. I'm currently using a 4 year old feature phone on sprint. I've been dying to get a smartphone but until now my parents would not let me get off their plan. (Long story short dad has old plan you can't get anymore before 3G and so on and won't update(gay)). I will use whatever phone I get to the fullest extent possible, it will be utilized in my daily task very well, so yes I will use the hell out of whatever I get. It seemed silly to me as well but I live 700 miles away from my girlfriend and she would shoot me if I let my phone contract end under my parents and sat without a phone for a month. Ive been eyeing the Evo 3D, but I'm afraid to dive into that and regret it, since I want the iPhone so badly. All these phones makes it so overwhelming to choose one.

Of you must have an iPhone, I'd suggest looking around to see what you have that you might sell as you save up the money. Buying one right now is not a good idea anyway, as the iPhone 4 has been far less than Apples best work. I've had every iPhone made, and find the 3GS a far better phone overall, but that's mainly because I require a phone that can be relied on to place phone calls.

The next new iPhone will probably be so much better after Apple's public relations screw up otherwise known as 'Antennagate".

In addition, you might as well get one with iOS 5 since it's such a drastic change away from owning your own data. Go to Apple .com for details. If you have patience I'm sure you will be very glad you waited.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010

Are you going to start your own plan then? If you are switch to verizon ASAP with a palm pixi to lock unlimited, and use it until sept to switch off to the iphone 5. Theres rumors that sprint might receive the iphone 5 later on, but we are not sure.

Lol, I told my girlfriend that she can Skype me or not talk to me for 2 months when I was switching carriers
(was moving around) haaha, hey if she wants to shoot you, let her do it! at least you will be able to see her when she comes to shoot you :)

dball4

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
Same situation

Our current carrier (US Cellular) badly messed our billing and called us up and called us deadbeats for not paying our bill. We actually did pay the bill and we have the proof that we did from the receipt so we were puzzled. We asked them what they meant and they stated that we owe them $86, and that it is a credit on our bill. The CS rep was confused about how we are supposed to pay a bill credit, but she insisted that we had to and that we would be sent to collections if we don't pay our bill of $0. We talked to many reps and they would not budge to fix the problem so now we are looking to switch carriers right away and I mean right away.

I want an iPhone and so does my parents, I would wait for the new version, but the problem is that my dad insists that we must leave US Cellular now after they screwed up badly.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Our current carrier (US Cellular) badly messed our billing and called us up and called us deadbeats for not paying our bill. We actually did pay the bill and we have the proof that we did from the receipt so we were puzzled. We asked them what they meant and they stated that we owe them $86, and that it is a credit on our bill. The CS rep was confused about how we are supposed to pay a bill credit, but she insisted that we had to and that we would be sent to collections if we don't pay our bill of $0. We talked to many reps and they would not budge to fix the problem so now we are looking to switch carriers right away and I mean right away.

I want an iPhone and so does my parents, I would wait for the new version, but the problem is that my dad insists that we must leave US Cellular now after they screwed up badly.

I used to use US cell (in IL) before I moved to Cali (verizon) but on my 2 years of US cellular use, they have been great, perhaps you should go to an actual store and talk to the guys over there instead of the phone, and wait until the iphone is announced and then switch over :)

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Thanks for all the insightful ideas guys, I really don't know what to do because I do feel like I'm in a pickle. But I think I miswrote some information, my parents are going to let me have my own contract, or I can stay on the family plan and pay the difference. Its my choice, I have rather hated sprint since the get go, but they are getting better phones and they have unlimited date for less than what I would pay for Tiered data on Att. Evidentally Verizon is huge here service wise, but the people at the Verizon store were idiots and I don't like the feeling that they still haven't updated the iPhone 4 on Verizon to 4.3.3 or what have you.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Okay So I've decided I am going to go ahead and pick up an iPhone 4 and sell it later to pick up the iP5. Now my only problem is wether to pick ATT or Verizon. I have never been under either service and I don't really know much about either as well. I know Verizons Data plans are changing on the 7th but I'm not sure If I will be able to get it by then. So presuming that is not in the playing field, which service provider would you go with? I live in Topeka, Kansas btw.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Okay So I've decided I am going to go ahead and pick up an iPhone 4 and sell it later to pick up the iP5. Now my only problem is wether to pick ATT or Verizon. I have never been under either service and I don't really know much about either as well. I know Verizons Data plans are changing on the 7th but I'm not sure If I will be able to get it by then. So presuming that is not in the playing field, which service provider would you go with? I live in Topeka, Kansas btw.

Boy, you are crazy. 300 dollars and 325 for ETF? Man... you got tons of money.
Its your money. But I think thats really not so smart.
deadcellzones.com
That will help you a bit.

My idea? Buy a palm pixi right now for 40, lock the unlimited, use until sept and change then. (verizon)

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Boy, you are crazy. 300 dollars and 325 for ETF? Man... you got tons of money.
Its your money. But I think thats really not so smart.
deadcellzones.com
That will help you a bit.

My idea? Buy a palm pixi right now for 40, lock the unlimited, use until sept and change then. (verizon)

There is an ETF for switching from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 on the same contract? I thought all I would have to do would be to buy the phone outright without a contract?

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
There is an ETF for switching from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 on the same contract? I thought all I would have to do would be to buy the phone outright without a contract?

No, but the 5 is going to run you $600+ unsubsidized. As opposed to buying the pixi and spendign the $40 + the $200-300 for the 5 subsidized when it comes out.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
No, but the 5 is going to run you $600+ unsubsidized. As opposed to buying the pixi and spendign the $40 + the $200-300 for the 5 subsidized when it comes out.

I don't understand how I will get the iPhone subsidized when it comes out.. Regardless if I buy an iPhone now or later, I'm still going to have to pay full price.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
so your plan is to spend $199 for an iphone 4 now, sell it when the 5 comes out just a few months later, and then you pay $599 (plus tax) for an iphone 5?

this, as opposed to just waiting and spending $199 on an iphone 5?

i would advise against this. you won't be able to recoup as much as you hope when you sell the 4, especially when everybody else will be attempting to do the same thing. by waiting, you'll save yourself the hassle, and you'll be saving yourself a lot money, a couple hundred at least.

my advice is to just wait. just because your contract expires does not mean you're forced to sign another one. you can continue to use your phone on your current plan just the same. don't make any decisions until the 5 is announced. who knows, maybe they'll announce a sprint version and you'll be able to stick with your family plan.

I don't understand how I will get the iPhone subsidized when it comes out.. Regardless if I buy an iPhone now or later, I'm still going to have to pay full price.

he's suggesting that you start service off-contract. the $40 pixi mentioned is an unsubsidized price, so you'd be able to buy an iphone 5 for the full-subsidized price of $199.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I'm currently on Sprint with an upgrade due right now and my contract ends in August. I really want an iPhone and have been since the first one was released, but I've been watching MacRumors and it's obvious there i an iPhone 5 of some sort coming but no one knows when. Any suggestions on what you would do?

You'd have to figure out which carrier you want first before anything.

If you are gonna get an iPhone on Verizon? I would lock in unlimited data right now (before july 7th) with a brand new $50 palm pixi off of newegg and then upgrade in September to the iPhone 5.

Att? Then I would just wait until September to upgrade.

Another reason to wait till September? Rumors about the iPhone in advanced testing for Sprints network...

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
so your plan is to spend $199 for an iphone 4 now, sell it when the 5 comes out just a few months later, and then you pay $599 (plus tax) for an iphone 5?

this, as opposed to just waiting and spending $199 on an iphone 5?

i would advise against this. you won't be able to recoup as much as you hope when you sell the 4, especially when everybody else will be attempting to do the same thing. by waiting, you'll save yourself the hassle, and you'll be saving yourself a lot money, a couple hundred at least.

my advice is to just wait. just because your contract expires does not mean you're forced to sign another one. you can continue to use your phone on your current plan just the same. don't make any decisions until the 5 is announced. who knows, maybe they'll announce a sprint version and you'll be able to stick with your family plan.

he's suggesting that you start service off-contract. the $40 pixi mentioned is an unsubsidized price, so you'd be able to buy an iphone 5 for the full-subsidized price of $199.

Thanks, and where do I find this $40 pixi??

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

NiKeZz said:

Sounds like the OP has no idea how subsidized cell phone contracts work.

If you buy an iPhone 4 for $199 now you will be starting a new contract. When the iPhone 5 comes out in September u can't just upgrade to the 5 by paying $199 again because you just signed a new contract 3 months ago and you will not be eligible for the subsidized price of $199. You will have to pay full price for it if you want to get the new phone. Or you can break your iPhone 4 contract, pay the $325 ETF and get the new 5 and start a new contract. This would just be stupid in my opinion.

You have been without a smartphone till now. 3 more months won't kill you. You will come back and thank us later if you listen to the advice some folks have given you here. I promise you.

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011

Even if you do sign a contract now, if you do not use your subsidy on a phone from them, it should stay on your account, and you will be able to use it on the iPhone 5 when it comes out. That way your contract will end a few months earlier than if you went no contract until it came out. But then you're also locked into Verizon earlier than you need to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.