Another buy now or wait question...how much will I save if I wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcjustme, Mar 30, 2010.

  1. dcjustme macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #1
    I'm using an old iBook G4 that's still running 10.3. I'm way overdue for a new computer. I was ready to buy a month ago, but saw that the mbp was due for an update soon so I decided to wait. But the wait is getting ridiculous. If it's definitely going to be in April, I could hold out. If we're talking June, I just can't do it. So...I was thinking of just getting a refurbished 15mbp. My question is: When the refresh happens, how much will they be selling the current line for? What I'm thinking of getting now will cost roughly $1500 as a refurb. Will I save that much more if I buy the same computer after the refresh?

    I know that the current pros are more than enough for what I need now. But I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. I've been reading these forums for a while and anticipating every Tuesday like everyone else out here. But in the meantime, I'm able to do less and less with my ridiculously old system. I'm ready to just get something now that I know I'll love and be done with it.

    Thanks for the info and advice!
     
  2. dcjustme thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #3
  3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #4
    You have waited all these years but another month is gonna kill you?

    how about a refurb?

    13"?
    Unibody MacBook Pro MB990LL/A Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz 13.3" Notebook for $999

    or 15"?
    unibody MacBook Pro MC118LL/A Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz 15.4" Notebook for $1,449
     
  4. chipandtoast macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2009
    Location:
    Wisconsin
  5. wc199216 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    #6
    should be out in april

    i believe the rumour of that newzealand apple store google cache leak a few weeks ago, it should be release in april with i5/i7 cores. but i have waited for the mbp for 6 month and decided not to wait anymore, bought a HP laoptop instead of a apple, maybe apple will be my next laptop after a 4 or 5 years when it is more "mature". by then, i bet steve jobs doesnt even know what is it going to be look like.
     
  6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #7
    you should have just bought it 6 months ago.

    when all you do is surf the web and play wow all day, any MBP made in the last 2 years is more than enough.
     
  7. Thunderhawks Suspended

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    #8
    Please don't start another MBP thread

    The refresh is ready when Apple launches it.

    You will not save anything by buying the latest. It's always full price and the way Apple usually does it,
    they add enough to keep the price up there.

    Buy one already in Refurb (best deals).
    The current generation will do more than you are going to do with it and be good for plenty of years.
     
  8. dcjustme thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #9
    Thanks to all for the advice. But just to be clear since I guess I wasn't...the question is about how much today's MBP is going to sell for AFTER the refresh, and if I will save that much more by waiting until then, vs the cost of refurb model today. It looks like if I wait, I'd save an additional 2-300, which is something I need to consider.
     
  9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #10
    The point is, after the refresh, today's MBP will no longer be sold by Apple, except as a refurb. You won't save much, if anything, by waiting.
     
  10. JMartin23 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #11
    ^ yes, but after the refresh, the refurbs that are currently listed will be still be there and those prices will drop, no?


    OR will they just release all current models as refurbs and still have them listed comparably to what they are now in the refurb store?
     
  11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #12
    correct.

    So in all likely hood todays low-end 2.53 that is $1699 retail and $1449 refurb will be $1449 "new" after the new low-end 15" MBP comes out.

    Not much less unless you plan on waiting another few months for those to drop again. If I remember right years ago the low-end 15" MBP got down to $1299 after many months.
     
  12. dcjustme thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #13
    I think that pretty much convinces me...I'm just going to go ahead and get a refurb and be done with it. Now if I can just decide between the 2.53 15", or 2.53 13". At least I'm one step closer.

    Thanks!
     

Share This Page