Another Buy or Wait Thread!!! Plz Reply Though...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gamerz, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. gamerz macrumors 6502

    gamerz

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    #1
    OMG!!! Another buy now or wait thread... I need this to be answered though...

    So, I've been saving for an iMac and finally i have enough money... What im wondering is should I buy now? or wait until the next ones come out which would be in 2 months or more...

    I dont need it right now and could last another 2 months with an old pc... The only problem with waiting is that:

    A: The price will obviously go up
    B: It might only be a small upgrade... (which would suck)
    C: My friend wants me to buy faster so we can play WoW (kinda stupid)

    So, Buy now or Wait???
     
  2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

    G5Unit

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2005
    Location:
    I'm calling the cops
    #2
    If you need one now, I would buy one. But rumors have been floating around saying that the iMac will get a cosmetic change along with updated specs in the next update. Maybe WWDC?
     
  3. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #3
    The price going up in unlikely...if it does there will be another Mac to replace its price points, or the price increase will be well worth it(look at the iBook -> to MacBook, but that was twice in a lifetime event{ 68k-> PPC and PPC-> X86)

    The upgrade for the iMac shouldn't be smal....not like the Mac Mini update was(speed bump), it should have a new OS, new iLife, new chip..very likely we'll even see a new design for the iMac.


    As for your friend wanting a WoW buddy, when your new iMac will blowing past his computer, you'll be happy you waited.
     
  4. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #4
    Well, if you're waiting for an upgrade/re-design for the iMac, I doubt there's going to be anything until WWDC, so you'd have to wait until at least that event. It might be a bit after...but no one knows for sure. If you need it now, you'll have a great computer and your money's worth, if you ask me. And when Leopard will be released, you can always buy it and install it yourself...so I guess it really just depends if you want or can wait. Either way, you should be satisfied.
     
  5. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #5
    Wait. It is very unlikely that the price for the new iMac's will go up. Lol, are you serious about getting one now so you can play WoW? C'mon.
     
  6. Details IM macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2007
    #6
    I am having the same problem. I went to the apple store yesterday and decided on purchasing an iMAC. Came to this site today and see "Don't buy - wait" b/c it is due for an update. But I am not sure if I can wait till June or later. I have just started up a business so I need to upgrade my from current (4yr. old powerbook g4) to something new.

    Personally, I think I am going to pull the trigger now b/c I won't use all the features available now, certainly not on a new one w/ more features. The only reason I would wait is for maybe more ram allowed (more then the now 2gb) and a higher GHZ processor. heh, guess i just answered my own questions :D
     
  7. skubish macrumors 68030

    skubish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #7
    1. Why start another thread...
    2. Standard advice applies: if you need a new mac buy it, if you don't then wait.
    3. I play WoW on my iBook so I think pretty much any iMac will be fine for that.
     
  8. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

    gamerz

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    #8
    Yeah... i just bought a new camera so now im forced to wait and save up my money... not that thats a bad thing... And for my friend and I playing Wow... that can wait... lol
     
  9. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2005
    #9
    I can't believe I'm contributing to this thread, but why in the world would the price go up?

    The iMac, admittedly, has not at all followed logical pricing schemes. But overall prices go down.

    The MBP 17", for instance, has gone down $500 in three years. The iMacs have changed, but in their current revision the 17" has gone down $300 in 2 years. That is a 1.6 vs. 1.5 ratio.

    I predict MacBooks to start at $999 when they are released in May, and if not then their revision in October/November. The iMac will probably go down $100 as well, regardless of a design change.

    -=|Mgkwho
     
  10. snapplejack18 macrumors newbie

    snapplejack18

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2007
    Location:
    BOSTON!!!
    #10
    I'm having the exact same problem. BUT! I was going to buy a refurbished iMac to save a couple hundred bucks. Common sense tells me that there will be no refurbished iMacs that have the new design and upgrades... will there?
     
  11. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2005
    #11
    not for a while...like a month at earliest.

    -=|Mgkwho
     
  12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #12
    Probably not for a few months or so after they are released. Unless they suck so much that everyone returns it as soon as they got it :p
     
  13. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #13
    Check information about Santa Rosa platform. It's up to you if would want those features or not. Generally, I would wait if I were in your situation.
     
  14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #14
    Yeah, with less than a month (ok, a few days more than a month) until the expected release of Santa Rosa, we can probaby expect iMacs in 2 months at WWDC. Just hang in there... but as always, buy now if you need now.
     
  15. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #15
    Since you seem to be able to wait, I would advise doing so. New iMacs are likely at WWDC '07. :)
     
  16. MacBass macrumors 6502

    MacBass

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2005
    Location:
    La Crosse, WI
    #16
    I would wait, if you don't like the design/updated specs of the new iMacs, just jump on a clearanced/refurbed model in the Apple Store. Or buy one of similar build from a MR member.
     

Share This Page