Another buying advice thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chetzar, Dec 28, 2013.

1. chetzar macrumors newbie

So, I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet.

I'm looking to upgrade my 2006 BlackBook. Currently I am in school studying Video Production. I have been thinking about my options, the draw of the 17' MBP is very strong, specifically the one I'm looking at:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/231117163022?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm weighing it against getting a refurb 15" 2012 with 8gb memory and the GT 650:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Software I will be using: After Effects, Premiere Pro, FCP (maybe, I prefer PP), Photoshop. I would also like to do some light gaming (maybe Diablo III, nothing like Crysis or CoD.

What are your thoughts? The used one has Apple Care until March, droping $1300+ on a laptop really makes me want more AC than 3 months, but I am craving a 17" (for now).
    As a student, which would you want?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Just curious...exactly why?

It can't be image quality on older 17" screen vs retina 15". It can't be CPU or GPU as the 2013 machines are more powerful and have much faster I/O (PCIe to SSD vs. SATA to a spinning drive). So what is the attraction for the larger, heavier machine?

3. chetzar thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I'm not sure I have a solid answer. I think its a combination of things, like: you can't get a new 17", I have a 13" now and 17" seems like it would be awesome for editing video, etc., the ram is upgrade-able and I like the thought of having a bigger screen.

That being said, I keep finding myself leaning towards the 15" for portability (I "can" take notes on a 17" in Art History, but it would feel a bit obnoxious), and I have to remind myself I can plug the 15" into my 24" monitor at home.

4. adjohan macrumors newbie

I think you're going to hate lugging the heavy brick of 17" around all the time. Again you could get extra screen space by plugging the 15" to an external monitor. Plus Retina vs Non-Retina seems like an easy choice?

5. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

6. chetzar, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

chetzar thread starter macrumors newbie

Just thought I'd let any future readers know: Today I purchased a Late 2013 15" rMBP with the GT750m. I don't see any yellowing on the screen and am currently running the IR test. Honestly, I love this thing so far.

Update: After 10 mins of the checkerboard my screen shows no IR.

7. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Great decision and congrats!... :D That's a beast of a computer!!! Enjoy :)