Another can't restore iPhone 4 thread

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GaresTaylan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. GaresTaylan, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I have had to do a restore on an iOS device. Cydia has been crashing relentlessly after an update about a month ago on my VZW iPhone 4.2.6. I was going to restore it to 4.2.8 and jailbreak it again using redsn0w.

On a PC, I followed the instructions here: http://www.saurik.com/id/12

I adjusted the host file, put the phone into DFU and selected the 4.2.8 ipsw. The phone starts to go through the restore process and I am getting error 1013 that it can't restore - which I believe I remember being related to iTunes still talking to Apple and not Saurik's server.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated.

2. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone?

I have used TU and made sure the cydia/hosts box is unchecked. I've tried this on Mac and pc. I've verified after a reboot that the changes to the host files saved.

I also used tiny umbrella to exit recovery. No dice.

3. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

4. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. GaresTaylan, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anybody at all? Now Im getting error 1600. This is at the "preparing iphone for restore" part.

Am I supposed to start the TU server, then launch itunes and then do the restore with the ipsw? Thats what Im doing and it isnt working.

I have tried this on Windows and on 2 different Macs. And it isnt just the ipsw I have. I also tried 4.2.6 and a different 4.2.8. I tried creating a custom 4.2.8 with sn0wbreeze as well. Nothing works - at all.

*EDIT*

I think I have received every error imaginable. Since I have my SHSH's saved and I wasnt getting any responses on here I went ahead and restored to 4.2.9. This was the ONLY thing that worked flawlessly.

Once restored, I started tiny umbrella, started the server, booted into DFU mode, did the restore with the 4.2.8 firmware.

Ive received errors 3002, 1600, and 20 now. Its completely random. Set hosts to Cydia on exit is not checked. Here is what the host file shows for Windows:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost
    0.0.0.0 .psf
    0.0.0.0 psf
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

I have tried toggling it so that it looks like this as well:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost
    0.0.0.0 .psf
    0.0.0.0 psf
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

No dice. I just don't understand. If I go into recovery and try to restore I alternate errors 3002 and 20. If I am in DFU mode (via iREB) and restore I get 1600. At this stage I am completely out of ideas.

**EDIT 2**

Error 3194 now too. Thats a new one.

**EDIT 3**

Still hoping for some help here. Back to using OSX now. Booted into DFU with redsn0w. I started the server with tiny umbrella and launched itunes. I'm not able to restore to 4.2.8 or custom 4.2.8. I keep getting the 1600 error. It was from my understanding that 1600 shouldnt even be possible if you used iREB or redsn0w to enter DFU and apply the limera1n exploit?

Ive also tried not using TU at all and just editing the host file to point to saurik's server, which i have my blobs saved on. Still no go. I just dont understand.