ANOTHER case of all browsers loading SLOWLY or NOT AT ALL.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SWriverstone, Mar 28, 2013.

1. SWriverstone macrumors newbie

Okay---this is REALLY irritating...especially for the vaunted Apple---whose hardware and software are supposed to be a "seamless" whole.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro, early 2011 model, running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. When I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion, I wiped the hard drive and did a 100% clean install, then installed all updates from Apple and have kept the system completely update since.

This morning---for the first time ever---I experienced what I quickly discovered is an INFAMOUS issue: ALL web browsers taking 5 minutes to load a page...or never loading it at all.

I did a flurry of research and can state the following:

- The problem happened when connected to wifi at my local coffeehouse (the same wifi at the same coffeehouse worked perfectly 2 days ago).

- No, the problem is NOT my local coffeehouse's wifi or ISP: my iPhone 5 was screaming fast when connected to the SAME wifi at the same time.

- A reboot did NOT solve the issue.

- I opened Network Utility and did a lookup on www.apple.com, and results were fine. Pings were also in the 90ms range. No problems there.

- At the coffeehouse, I tried using my iPhone 5 (which as I just observed, loaded web pages screaming fast over the coffeehouse wifi) as a personal hotspot for my MBP. No dice---ALL browsers continued to load at a glacial pace.

- The problem does NOT occur over wifi at home (I have Comcast cable broadband, which works very well.)

- I tried adding OpenDNS's IPs to the wifi connection on my MBP. No dice. Didn't help at all.

- I tried GoogleDNS. No dice. Didn't help at all.

- I tried disabling DNS prefetching. No dice. Didn't help at all.

In short, this is ridiculous. This kind of thing should NOT be happening on a MacBook Pro! (Especially one that is fully, completely, totally updated to the minute.)

There are, of course, other tests I could do...but I'm not inclined to do them. Why? Because running said tests would mean I'm RIGHT BACK TO WHAT I WANTED TO ESCAPE WHEN I USED PC's: spending hours troubleshooting BS problems that shouldn't exist! As a former PC user, I've spent HUNDREDS of hours troubleshooting issues...which was what drove me to Apple in the first place. And my experience with MBP's (I've had two over the past several years) has been excellent...and now this.

One test I could do is to reboot in safe mode, see if I have the same issue. Except I'd have to go back to my local coffeehouse to troubleshoot, since I don't have any issue at home (over wifi).

-----
    This is obviously a VERY common issue. A quick Google search found HUNDREDS of returns from people having this identical problem. And the vast majority did not find any solution to the problem. Adding OpenDNS numbers solved it for some...but (as they all point out) why did the problem happen in the first place? Adding different DNS numbers is just a band-aid---not a solution.

Has anyone heard of a decisive, FINAL solution (not band-aid) to this issue?

Scott

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Does the wifi work at a third location? If it works at home but not at the coffee place, it's a problem with the coffee place! If you can ping it's not your wifi's fault.

3. SWriverstone thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the $10,000 question robvas! I probably started the thread prematurely, before I'd had a chance to test it at a different public wifi location. I'm heading to a different coffeehouse this afternoon (the local Starbucks)...so I'll see what happens there and report back!

Scott