another cmbp vs rmbp thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IlikeMacsSoMuch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Hello everybody,

I want to change my early 2008 mbp but I'm not sure what to choose between the cmbp or the rmbp.

I have a i5 27 inches iMac that is my main computer that I might change depending on what Apple as in store iMac wise this fall.

I plan on becoming a full time apps developer for Mac and iOS but currently I do some IT support for a couple of clients (windows) and even if I don't use windows anymore I want to keep these clients, so I need a laptop too.

I won't go into details but using only a laptop with an external display is not an option for me, I need both. But, no matter wich mbp I buy, I will use the iMac as an external display.

So since the iMac has an amazing display, do I need the rmbp? I'm used to having a powerful computer since I have the iMac so even if the mba is great, I find it slower than my iMac so mba also not an option, I want a quad core.

I'm more inclined towards the cmbp since I can upgrade it later if need be and I know some people might think that I'm retarded but the glossy screen on my iPad retina display is next to useless outside in the sun, I did not try the rmbp outside but I guess it would be the same.

So just to shorten the story, is it worth it to buy a rmbp if it's going to be plugged into an external monitor?

Sorry for the long post, is there a shrink available?:eek:

Lol!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Sounds like the cMBP would be a better choice for you. Don't go for the rMBP just for the coolness factor.

3. IlikeMacsSoMuch thread starter macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Exactly what I think, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, since the cmbp and the rmbp share the same video card, does that make the cmbp a better gaming machine since the screen won't ask as much resource to the video card? Giving that both have the same specs regarding ssd and ram?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Hmm.. I suppose there could be a marginal difference, but since the games can be played at lower resolutions than the screen, I doubt there's much if any (assuming all other hardware equivalent).

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The lower end cMBP does not share the same card as the rMBP. The higher end cMBP does and shares the same price point as the low end rMBP.

6. IlikeMacsSoMuch thread starter macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

That's the one I was talking about, I should have specified it

7. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

The cMBP has been largely forgotten; the newest and greatest rMBP has taken the spotlight. The cMBP is still a great machine; probably the second best laptop currently sold. Plus, it's considerably cheaper and it still includes some legacy hardware.

8. IlikeMacsSoMuch thread starter macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Cheaper? Here in Canada the high end cmbp with no ssd is the same price than the low end rmbp. Is different in the US? Cause I don't mind driving, I'm not that far from the border!

9. Rocky244 macrumors regular

The rMBP's GPU is overclocked, and runs faster than the cMBP. Also the rMBP's thermals are improved over the cMBP model. When playing a game the resolution of both computers will change to the resolution you are running the game at, so performance will not suffer on either machine due to volume of pixels, as you suggested might happen.

From those facts, it would be safe to say that the rMBP outperforms the cMBP in terms of gaming. This is especially true if you attempt to overclock the rMBP even further; because the thermals allow for much higher clocks than the more frequently throttled cMBP.

10. Aodhan macrumors regular

The MBPR's 650M is apparently overclocked, so it would presumably have a performance advantage over the 650M in the MBP, but then again, the retina display demands so much of it, that the non-retina version probably comes out ahead.

Among the many reasons I chose the 2012 MBP over the MBPR, one was because I felt that a 1GB 650M was probably a little underpowered to drive 2880x1800 pixels for games.

I love my 2012 MBP, but the Retinoids love their MBPRs too. Retina is the future for sure, but for me the MBP was the best fit.

11. IlikeMacsSoMuch, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

IlikeMacsSoMuch thread starter macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

[/COLOR]
    That's pretty much how I think too, did you put a ssd inside?

Retinoids, I liked that one!

12. leenak macrumors 68020

You might want to read the Anandtech review of the rMBP. I think that is where the overclocking is mentioned. I think that is also where it is mentioned that the rMBP might have a slight boost on graphically intense applications (like games) over time. With the cooling design, the rMBP will run cooler while the cMBP will throttle itself to remain cool. Therefore you should get better performance from the rMBP over time.

The performance boost shouldn't be anything major though and if you like the cMBP, go with that.

13. Aodhan macrumors regular

I haven't yet, but I plan to when the price goes down a bit, so I can get a meaningful sized drive. Also going to upgrade from 8 to 16GB.

14. IlikeMacsSoMuch thread starter macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

My plans exactly.

Did you use the mirroring feature with airplay? If you did, how was it?

15. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

This. Scaling games at non native resolutions is never ideal and frequently blurry. The OC'ing a GPU only adds fraction of performance increase. If you want real increases you buy a better card with wider bus, more cores, etc. 1400x900 vs 2888x1800 is no joke. cMBP will be faster and might even look better as it is native but that IPS screen is beautiful. SLI'd GTX680's can't really push too many games at retina resolution. Great tech but still in infancy.

16. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Well, high-end is the same... But many people don't purchase the high-end products. However, you get one of the best cMBP for the same price of the base rMBP... So I'd think that in general, yes, it is cheaper.

17. stevelam macrumors 65816

cmbp better for games? no not really. should be about the same really. for general OS usage, responsiveness and not worrying about the retina screen taking up way too much resources to power? yes.