Another "complaint" story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Finz151, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Finz151 macrumors member

Finz151

To start I am a HUGE apple fan, I own a majority of the products apple has released within the past 5 years. The latest device I came to own was the iphone 4. Now let me say it wasn't easy purchasing this device; even though I reserved online for store pick-up. I had to wait 11 HOURS in line to get into the apple store, finalize my order, and walk out. As many of you were, I walked out as a happy customer knowing I just bought the newest apple product that will please me for the next 10 months. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the design, the "retina" display, facetime, and all the new features from this gorgeous phone. But what many, including myself, don't seem to realize is that it's a phone first. You SHOULDNT have problems making or receiving calls from the PHONE, now if your having problems because of the network (AT&T) then thats a different story. I live in miami I've NEVER had any problems with the network, maybe 1 or 2 dropped calls a month.

Back to my story, tonight I got really heated with just how annoyed I was with this phone. I make a call to my friend and it goes well for a minute or two, but then I hear the sound of numbers being dialed. I ignore it thinking it was my buddys phone, but then again i hear a short dot sound and as I look at my phone facetime was starting up. I ignore that as well, and continue my conversation with my friend. 30 seconds later, the call drops; I look at my phone and I have 0 bars. I call my friend back and in no more than 2 minutes the call drops once again. This has been happening since the day I bought it, and you can't say maybe I'm in a bad reception area because I have been in 3 different cities and I also commute a lot. I'm just getting really annoyed that I cant have a conversation with anyone because of these ridiculous problems, whether it be the proximity or antenna design.

Everyone may ignore this statement, but the iphone should be considered a phone FIRST. It needs to be able to operate perfectly by hardware to accommodate the network. Apple really screwed up, and I know many of you are going to flame me and just tell me to return the phone if I don't like it, etc.. Truth is I LOVE this phone and apple, and I have faith in them to fix these problems. This is just my opinion, I know there are a lot of biased one-sided fanboys in this forum, so all I ask is to take this thread with a grain of salt and respond respectfully
    Thanks

2. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Wow, one longggggggg paragraph. Sorry, could read it.

3. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

4. PG-Monkey macrumors regular

I think he meant paragraph it.

5. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

/me offers the OP a suggestion: Press the Enter key a bit more frequently, will ya... ;)

And you can go back and edit the post, yanno, break it up every 3 sentences or so, whatever.

Maybe this is just something else that needs "fixed" as well. :D

6. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

7. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

For the life of me I can't understand why someone would not wake up or stay up and just preorder instead of waiting in line for 11 hours for a phone. that is where I stopped reading, too much run on....

Ah ok thanks OP.

I can't agree more with the quality aspect. Even though it is just a phone, it is an expensive device anyway you cut it, subsidized, contract or no contract. to use this device it is expensive.
    having the issues many are seeing, whether 1% ot 90%, those affected can't be happy.

I am all for bashing apple on this one, but I am willing to give them a little room to fix it, but come on $30 for a bumper. Seems odd to me that the bumper by apple was so available at launch. Almost seems like they new something in advance. Just my conspiracy theory

9. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

It's because I bought the phone at the full retail price. Apple.com doesn't offer delivery for no contract phones, you have to buy them in-store unfortunately :(

10. calvy macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I preodered my iphone 4 through apple.com and paid full retail with no contract extension. I had no problems and got my phone a day early.

11. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

I am returning the phone if apple don't fix the issues before 30-day return policy ends

12. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

Well i didnt want to sign a new 2 year contract and I didnt want to pay for data. Also I couldnt find a way to just buy the phone itself without including my at&t information. So I just acted as a new customer and pre-ordered for in-store pickup

13. Daelos macrumors member

This.

Plus availability issues. Only black widely available at launch (still only colour stocked in the uk apple stores I've been to). Considering the 1.7 million phones sold, one would have thought manufacture of apples bumpers would be able to meet the demands of the manufacture of the product. One colour at release gives the impression of an afterthought with significantly later manufacturing dates.

14. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Steve Jobs said that things would get worse before they got better. I just hope it's sooner than later. :(

16. SpankWare macrumors regular

Is it a phone first? Are you sure about that? Is that your opinion, Apple's intent, general acceptance or what? For me this device is definitely not a phone first. To be honest I use the phone function the least of anything else. I'm glad it's a phone and I do use it to make calls, but rest assured for me and I assume many others the iPhone 4 is not a "phone first".

17. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

If that is the case, why don't you just get an ipod touch and a cheap cell phone with no data plan? Ipod touch does what the iphone does with no contract, no data plan fees. And yes, it's a serious question.

18. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

How is it not a phone first? Its a phone!!!, hence the name "iphone". Making and receiving calls is THE most important feature in a phone

19. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

To be fair, the ipod touch doesn't do what the iphone does... first and foremost it doesn't have the ability to access the internet over the 3g networks, then you can throw in things like the camera etc too.

Not saying he's right or wrong, just saying there's more to an iphone 4 than just an ipod touch + telephone calls.

Personally, the phone aspect is obviously very important to me and of course I expect it to work (fortunately for me, it does...) but I do kind of see his point in that I use it far more for messaging/emails/internet browsing/games than anything else... it's really a internet tablet in my pocket which happens to do phone calls.

That, however, obviously varies from user to user and of course an iPhone should work well as a phone...

20. army91c macrumors 6502a

Lol, mods strike again! They have no problem with thread after thread after thread after thread saying the same exact thing yet come in and remove people's posts out of individual threads. How about you heros step up and do your job (stopping multi posts which IS in your rules) and leave individual posts alone especially seeing as my post in no way violated forum rules.

21. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

I see your point but then again you make my point for me. If the phone aspect of the iphone doesn't work, then you CAN'T surf on the 3G network. So an ipod and a different phone would work. The only thing they might not have is a decent camera. But then again, do we buy a cell phone for the camera? Or for the phone?
    For my situation, I want my phone to work the best out of all the included gadgets.

22. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Try shaving the side of your face where you hold the phone.

23. SpankWare macrumors regular

Since the other gentleman answered the original question you posed, i'll respond to this.

To be clear, I don't have reception problems and never have with an iPhone. As a result the most important aspect of the device for me is as a connected mobile device. I utilize it for connectivity (web/email/etc.), Movies, Music, etc. Having the mobile data is key and is part of it being a phone. I do use the iPhone to make and receive calls, but I spend more time on the device using it for other purposes than for making calls and as such I stick to my original point.

I can appreciate that you personally find the phone aspect of the device the most important, but you should realize that this opinion is not shared by everybody. Additionally, not everybody has the same connectivity issues as you. Both my wife and I have iPhone 4's (upgraded from the original iPhone) and neither of us have connectivity issues. The device works as advertised and has exceeded our expectations. We, along with countless colleagues who also upgraded, are satisfied with our purchase and have no complaints.

24. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Maybe I missed this in all of the responses, but are you sure it isn't a proximity sensor issue and you were in fact "hanging up" on your friend accidentally?? It would also explain the sounds of numbers being "dialed"....:confused: