Another computer using my IP on GoGo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaperQueen, Jun 11, 2011.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I fly a lot (read: weekly) for work. If a plane offers GoGo, it's a given I'll be online the moment we clear 10,000 feet, every time.

While en route from MSP to OKC this week, I successfully logged into GoGo's in-flight network using my MBP. Was humming along just fine...posting messages on Facebook (https login), confirming flight info on a couple of travel websites, launched Thunderbird to process work-related emails...the usual.

While in Thunderbird, outbound messages suddenly slowed waaaaaay down, each one hanging for 30-45 seconds before actually "departing." Then, the shocker--an error message popped up saying Thunderbird could no longer send emails because another computer in the network shared my IP address.

:eek:

Needless to say, I immediately shut everything down, worried that someone on the flight had hacked their way into my laptop.

Looking back, I doubt whether or not that's possible, but am just paranoid enough now to question what the heck happened. Anyone have a clue here?

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Someone probably has a set IP that was the random IP given to your laptop, either that or the router somehow gave 2 devices the same IP which is idiotic but not impossible.

3. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Just learned what happened on another board (FlyerTalk), where a GoGo representative jumped in. Turns out there was a network outage during my flight; when the system kicked back to life, all the IPs were reassigned, thus the duplication.

Mystery solved. Whew. :)