Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
Just exchanged my new 2011 13" MBP for an 11" MBA basic. With a powerful desktop at home, I just couldn't justify having the 13" MBP as well since I don't do anything that requires even a decent amount of horsepower outside of the house.

I kept reading how people were saying, "Oh, the MBA is the best laptop I've bought, I'm most satisfied with the MBA, etc.", and I kept thinking to myself, "yeah, okay, anything to justify $999 on that little thing". Boy, was I wrong. I now share those same sentiments. It has a netbook feel in terms of weight, but it feels rock solid like my MBP thanks to the aluminum unibody design (unlike any other netbook), and it does not behave like a netbook whatsoever (slow to startup, slow to open programs, unable to play HD video smoothly, etc.). The screen, touchpad, and keyboard are all amazing for the size. There is definitely a "wow" factor to it that is unmatched by any other laptop I've used. All of these things make me believe it's truly worth it to buy, even at the steep starting price.

To anyone deciding between the MBA and MBP that may be thinking, "If I'm going to be spending that much, I might as well spend the extra couple hundred for a MBP with much more power", I must say that I now completely endorse the MBA and I feel the money spent is well justified. I had a hard time justifying my potential exchange/purchase by just reading through threads on this board and reviews across the internet, but once I tried it out in the store, and now at home and school, I must say that I am more than satisfied with my purchase. This thing is amazing.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Congrats!

It should be even better with Lion too. Double tapping a web page on the trackpad to zoom in (like iOS) will be especially nice on the 11".

Patrick946

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
It should be even better with Lion too. Double tapping a web page on the trackpad to zoom in (like iOS) will be especially nice on the 11".

Going from using safari on my iPhone 4 to using Safari on my 2006 macbook is really a pain. I can't wait to get a macbook air and upgrade it to Lion. If it works the way I imagine it will (basically like iOS), then surfing the web on the 11" air will be a huge improvement, even with the smaller screen.

Thanks for the impressions Comper.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
It's posts like these that keep making me want to buy a 13" MBA. But I dont want to give Apple too much of my money.

emx620

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
I'd like to chime in too.

I too was considering the 2011 MBP, and was just going to throw a fast 3rd party SSD in it. I snagged a like new 13" Air with 4GB RAM for only $1050 off Craigslist. So far, I'm really happy with my purchase, and just love the high resolution screen, as well as the long battery life offered by the deep sleep functionality (really just fancy for hibernate). I'm hoping a sandy bridge based Air with Thunderbolt doesn't come out too soon, but I'm confident I could sell mine and upgrade to that for a relatively small cost.

Hats off to Apple for the Air -- finally, a true bridge between the MacBook and the iPad.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
Just exchanged my new 2011 13" MBP for an 11" MBA basic. With a powerful desktop at home, I just couldn't justify having the 13" MBP as well since I don't do anything that requires even a decent amount of horsepower outside of the house.

I kept reading how people were saying, "Oh, the MBA is the best laptop I've bought, I'm most satisfied with the MBA, etc.", and I kept thinking to myself, "yeah, okay, anything to justify $999 on that little thing". Boy, was I wrong. I now share those same sentiments. It has a netbook feel in terms of weight, but it feels rock solid like my MBP thanks to the aluminum unibody design (unlike any other netbook), and it does not behave like a netbook whatsoever (slow to startup, slow to open programs, unable to play HD video smoothly, etc.). The screen, touchpad, and keyboard are all amazing for the size. There is definitely a "wow" factor to it that is unmatched by any other laptop I've used. All of these things make me believe it's truly worth it to buy, even at the steep starting price.

To anyone deciding between the MBA and MBP that may be thinking, "If I'm going to be spending that much, I might as well spend the extra couple hundred for a MBP with much more power", I must say that I now completely endorse the MBA and I feel the money spent is well justified. I had a hard time justifying my potential exchange/purchase by just reading through threads on this board and reviews across the internet, but once I tried it out in the store, and now at home and school, I must say that I am more than satisfied with my purchase. This thing is amazing.

can i ask you buddy what made you decide on the 11" MBA?

i walk into store to purchase my mba but i cant decide which one to get?
seriously its doing my head in now
so i then end up leaving the store empty handed lol

comper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
can i ask you buddy what made you decide on the 11" MBA?

i walk into store to purchase my mba but i cant decide which one to get?
seriously its doing my head in now
so i then end up leaving the store empty handed lol

For what I need a laptop for at home and at college, the MBP felt like overkill. Not to mention it feels so much heavier and bulkier in comparison to the 11" air. I checked out the 13" air, but coming from a 13" mbp, the only real difference was the thinness. I mean, it was definitely a bit lighter, but the 11" just feels so much more portable in comparison. I asked myself at that point, what's the point? It's thinner and lighter, but it's footprint as a whole is as big as my 13" MBP. It's hard to explain, and the experience differs from person to person... personal preference. Also, if I don't get a table seat in a couple of my classes, I am stuck with a desk-chair that is hardly big enough for a 13" laptop. Therefore, I'm stuck with an awkward viewing angle and half the time the person in front of me is a girl with long hair or someone that likes to lean back, putting themselves very close to my screen which is somewhat uncomfortable.

Also, the 11" is surprisingly snappy. I was VERY, VERY hesitant about the 1.4ghz C2D, even for basic use (powerpoint notes, music, web browsing, youtube, IM, etc. all at once), but it runs like a champ. That was another thing that I figured might make me bump it up to the 13", but now I'm glad i didn't.

When it comes down to it, it's all about personal preference. If you really can't decide at the store, just pick one up, take it home and use it for a couple days. If it doesn't work out for your needs, just take it back and get the other one. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but for ME, the 11" truly embodies the "air" in its name and it is more than sufficient for what I need it to do when I'm on the go or on the couch/in bed at home. The "wow" factor after picking it up and using it is undeniable as well.

e: It also has made my desire for an iPad drop quite considerably, so that's another $500+ saved :)

Last edited:

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
For what I need a laptop for at home and at college, the MBP felt like overkill. Not to mention it feels so much heavier and bulkier in comparison to the 11" air. I checked out the 13" air, but coming from a 13" mbp, the only real difference was the thinness. I mean, it was definitely a bit lighter, but the 11" just feels so much more portable in comparison. I asked myself at that point, what's the point? It's thinner and lighter, but it's footprint as a whole is as big as my 13" MBP. It's hard to explain, and the experience differs from person to person... personal preference. Also, if I don't get a table seat in a couple of my classes, I am stuck with a desk-chair that is hardly big enough for a 13" laptop. Therefore, I'm stuck with an awkward viewing angle and half the time the person in front of me is a girl with long hair or someone that likes to lean back, putting themselves very close to my screen which is somewhat uncomfortable.

Also, the 11" is surprisingly snappy. I was VERY, VERY hesitant about the 1.4ghz C2D, even for basic use (powerpoint notes, music, web browsing, youtube, IM, etc. all at once), but it runs like a champ. That was another thing that I figured might make me bump it up to the 13", but now I'm glad i didn't.

When it comes down to it, it's all about personal preference. If you really can't decide at the store, just pick one up, take it home and use it for a couple days. If it doesn't work out for your needs, just take it back and get the other one. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but for ME, the 11" truly embodies the "air" in its name and it is more than sufficient for what I need it to do when I'm on the go or on the couch/in bed at home. The "wow" factor after picking it up and using it is undeniable as well.

e: It also has made my desire for an iPad drop quite considerably, so that's another $500+ saved :)

its my missus who keeps putting the doubts in my head :D

i love the look of the 11", nothing for me comes close to its looks, feel etc and like you said i think the 11" makes the mba air what it is
however the 13" as a bit more poke and obviously the bigger screen.
for the version i want the 13" is only £20 more than the 11" ultimate!

she says the 11" mba screen is too small, and the 13" is more powerful (she looks at the card next to the mba's lol)

women eh, think ill stick to my guns. get the 11" ultimate and then get the ipad 2 for her, but she wants the ipad now its only £329 (see she only thinks about value for money etc)

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
My new computer in 2-3 years will probably be a MacBook air. Hopefully by then theyll have the chips that are in the mbp now. In my opinion, a laptop in the first decade of the 21st century should feel more like the air than the pro at this point.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I would like the 13” for its screen size, but every time I pick up my 11” and go out the door with it, I just smile thinking how lightweight and portable the Air is. I’ve never owned a laptop that I’ve enjoyed using so much. It was supper great when I took it on an airline trip. I couldn't help but feel a little smug when I saw other laptop users lugging out their dinosaur 17” Dells and HPs. You could hardly notice I was using a computer. I plan to keep my Air for a while.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
2 months already here of having the 11" as my main and only machine. I couldn't be happier. The wow factor is only in the 11" in my opinion. I played with the 13", it's nice but the 16:9 ratio of the 11" really feels like you are carying a sheet of paper. It does all I need and it does it just great. 8-10 gigs 720p, browsing, iTunes, Word all of these open and just great! And mine is a basic one ! I think I will keep mine for a longer time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.