Another cool freebie....

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by nospeed411, Aug 25, 2010.

1. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Well I have added another to my collection. The other day a customer at my auto shop asks me if I want "an old mac"....well duuuuhhh I answered. Today he arrived carrying this by the "neck" in to the shop....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I promptly cleaned her up and plugged her in to see if she worked. Turns out to be a barely used 800 with 256 of ram and it's original 60 gig hd. I am missing the original keyboard and mouse but I am sure someone on here has one..hint hint. It was upgraded to OSX 10.4 at some point.

Buckled up in the car for the ride home...LOL
    [​IMG]

She has been named "Gertrude"

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Nice catch dude. Had some memory and here you go for Panther or Tiger...

3. nospeed411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's running tiger nicely... I called my buddy who owns an apple repair/re-seller store and he is rounding me up a goody bag of upgrades for her. Bigger HD, Airport card and a gig of ram. I am super amazed how well its runs...it's easy to forget it was made in 2003.

4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Just wondering, was it a repair shop in Waltham/Newton MA?

And, congrats on the Mac. I love how you buckled it up! lol :)

5. nospeed411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No Central PA.. Seems that VW customers have no appreciation for old Macs...they just like the new stuff. I really wanted to keep it at the shop for desktop use and trash the old PC we use but it was in too nice of shape. It has now been relegated to my living room.

Supposedly he has connections with a local university that is unloading a bunch of G5 Mac Pros...I told him if he didn't get me one I was charging triple for his next service..LOL

6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I like your business tactics! :p:D

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Great find! I wish stuff like that happened to me...

8. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

wow, awesome score

I really liked the iMac G4's design

I wish i had friends like that, even if its a G5 i would love to get my hands on one of those PM G5s

9. NessMudkip macrumors newbie

NessMudkip

Nice. These can run leopard right? If you're gonna do that you'll need more RAM though.

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, Leopard is the most recent OS you can go to before it requires an Intel chip.

11. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

It's what I've been working on for the past 8 months: an old 20" iMac G4. Can't believe I survived that long with a 7 year old computer doing graphic design work :D

12. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Get one that has a 20inch screen stuff a mac mini inside and you would get an very beautiful mac. To bad they don't make iLamp mac's anymore.:( One of the best :apple: designs ever. I find the new iMacs boring. I'm getting tired of the aluminum every where. If they at least had the anodized option..

Enjoy your beautiful iMac. That small black stain most likely will come out after a little of elbow grease with an eraser (at least works on macbooks :D)

Edit: http://dremmeljunkie.blogspot.com/ Check out this imac mod (if he wasn't running windows on it it would be a lot better)

13. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

nice one , i really love the transport solution looks like the iMac G4 looks like is happy to be buckled up ..can see the iMac g4 smiling ,

i have to get one too :) and yes its the best looking Mac in recent years

14. MacTech68, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

The only chassis style I don't have in my collection of pre-Intel is this one. Well done! :)

And carrying it by the neck is a proper way to do it (for those who aren't aware).

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47226