Another Cool Leopard Feature :)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petvas, Oct 26, 2007.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I dont know if you have seen that, I have read about it before, but now that I used that I liked it a lot. Its all about scrolling of windows that are in the background, inactive. Imagine the following situation: You have MSN, Skype or whatever chat program, and on the same time you want to read an article in Safari, so you keep the MSN window active, keep chatting but at the same time you can scroll through the article in Safari without making the Safari window active.

I really believe that Leopard is a triumph of customer focused engineering. No revolutionary features, but very well thought smaller features that at the end change the way we use our computers.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i think this was mentioned in the list of 100 not well known features of leopard posted a few days ago on the front page, very cool indeed

3. bogman12 macrumors regular

petvas: this feature has been on UNIX, IRIX, LINUX, Windows+MS PowerTools, MacOS + mouse utilities? etc.. for decades now...

It's called focus follows mouse.

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You're wrong. Its not focus follows mouse, its an option that passes through scrollwheel activity to the window your mouse is over without selecting it. Focus follows mouse selects the window automatically when your mouse passes over it, that's different.

5. bogman12 macrumors regular

dr_lha: It's sort of a hybrid.. even with the focus follows mouse, the active window does not get brought to the front of the windows stack. The window ordering stays the same.

6. esco macrumors 6502

esco

wow, great find man. Just tried it out and it's amazing

7. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Yes, I realise this. But focus follows mouse still selects the window (so if you type, the events would be passed to the web browser and not your iChat window for example). This does not select the window, it just passes through scroll wheel events, so you can scroll through a webpage, and when you type, it appears in the iChat window.

As I said: Its not the same as focus follows mouse.