Another Cool Leopard Feature :)

petvas

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
I dont know if you have seen that, I have read about it before, but now that I used that I liked it a lot. Its all about scrolling of windows that are in the background, inactive. Imagine the following situation: You have MSN, Skype or whatever chat program, and on the same time you want to read an article in Safari, so you keep the MSN window active, keep chatting but at the same time you can scroll through the article in Safari without making the Safari window active.

I really believe that Leopard is a triumph of customer focused engineering. No revolutionary features, but very well thought smaller features that at the end change the way we use our computers.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
i think this was mentioned in the list of 100 not well known features of leopard posted a few days ago on the front page, very cool indeed

Comment

bogman12

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
petvas: this feature has been on UNIX, IRIX, LINUX, Windows+MS PowerTools, MacOS + mouse utilities? etc.. for decades now...

It's called focus follows mouse.

Comment

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
petvas: this feature has been on UNIX, IRIX, LINUX, Windows+MS PowerTools, MacOS + mouse utilities? etc.. for decades now...

It's called focus follows mouse.
You're wrong. Its not focus follows mouse, its an option that passes through scrollwheel activity to the window your mouse is over without selecting it. Focus follows mouse selects the window automatically when your mouse passes over it, that's different.

Comment

bogman12

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
You're wrong. Its not focus follows mouse, its an option that passes through scrollwheel activity to the window your mouse is over without selecting it. Focus follows mouse selects the window automatically when your mouse passes over it, that's different.
dr_lha: It's sort of a hybrid.. even with the focus follows mouse, the active window does not get brought to the front of the windows stack. The window ordering stays the same.

Comment

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
dr_lha: It's sort of a hybrid.. even with the focus follows mouse, the active window does not get brought to the front of the windows stack. The window ordering stays the same.
Yes, I realise this. But focus follows mouse still selects the window (so if you type, the events would be passed to the web browser and not your iChat window for example). This does not select the window, it just passes through scroll wheel events, so you can scroll through a webpage, and when you type, it appears in the iChat window.

As I said: Its not the same as focus follows mouse.

Comment