another cracked iPhone screen..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jadare, Oct 2, 2008.

1. jadare macrumors newbie

Well I have an original iPhone 16g that I got back in March. It fell off my desk and the hard plastic cover I bought for it popped off and I think the screen hit the metal pole of the desk. The screen is pretty badly cracked but the phone is still fully functional...do you think Apple would cover this without having to pay the replacement fee? Does the fact that I had a protective cover on it make a difference in what the warranty covers? Several of my friends have gotten free replacements but I've also heard plenty of other stories of no such luck.

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

You can try, but it's accidental damage which is not covered by warranty. Luck is what gets very few people a genius in a good mood who will just give you a replacement, but I'm pretty sure you will need to pay for it to be repaired or replaced...

3. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Chances are probably not, but it's always worth a try, you never know! If the Apple Genius says 'no' you haven't lost anything, so you might as well.

If that doesn't work, ask about what the replacement charge will be.

P.S. Get ready for the jerks who will probably flame you, saying that you have no integrity, are trying to scam apple, you're a cheapskate, you're irresponsible, etc. etc. (just a heads up ;))

4. ec51 macrumors 6502

Next time around....for a $200 - $300 phone I would recommend the SquareTrade warranty which covers accidents.

5. Amt macrumors regular

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

7. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

Since its only the glass that is cracked, not the digitizer, you could buy a replacement part for the glass on ebay for about $15 and do it yourself or get a 3rd party professional to do it.

8. jadare thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies =]

I'm gonna go to the store this weekend and see what happens.

9. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

You cant because the glass is attached to the digitizer in the original iPhone, making it impossible to just replace the glass.