Another Cracked Screen + found new digitizer!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skir0987, Nov 24, 2007.

1. skir0987 macrumors regular

I was walking in the airport today and my iPod Touch happened to fall out of my pocket and hit the hard floor. I'd say it was about a three foot drop or so. There is a dent in the metal and the upper right hand corner of the screen is cracked. I've been searching around for a while and have found a bunch of people who got the glass replaced for free and some others who have had to pay a couple hundred bucks to get a repair from apple. I got my ipod on Nov. 13 at a local apple reseller (not an apple store or best buy) and they said that I had to call apple to get it fixed. I'm wondering how much it would cost to get the screen fixed or if I should drive over to an apple store and talk to them about it. I'm hoping not to spend over $150 on the repairs, but if I have to, I guess I could. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks.
    -Shep

P.S. It's a week 41 iPod

Picture:
    [​IMG]

Update: I just called my credit card company and apple. The credit card company said that they couldn't help us with the iPod and apple said that they would fix it for $270... which is way too much. I guess I'll just have to leave it as it is and get a case. :(

Attached Files:

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you bought it with a credit card some have insurance on the things you buy that will cover accidents, so that is worth a try, and it also would not hurt to try going to the Apple store.

3. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

I did buy it with a credit card... I think I'll check with the credit card company in the morning to see if they cover it.
    Thanks for the advice.
    -Shep

4. tennez macrumors regular

Geez men! sorry for loss but I hope you can fix it...did you have any kind of protection?

5. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

No... but I was planning on getting a case for it this week. REALLY bad timing :( .

-Shep

6. mmfy macrumors regular

7. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

Horray! I just got an e-mail from iRepair saying that they will be able to fix the screens :D

Hopefully it will be a lot cheaper than apple's rip-off :D

Shep

8. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

9. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

The price is the cost of a new one. For a repair like that Apple would probably just replace the entire unit and charge the cost of the replacement.

10. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah... they have some stores in the US. I just got another e-mail back that says that it'll cost $199 to get it fixed with them... that's still a lot of money :(

Shep

11. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

Horrah!

I just did some more searching and I came across iResQ.com... they offer to fix it for $129 or give you the part for $100. I think I'm going to go with having them fix it for $29 more because I really don't want to risk breaking the ipod completely... unless someone convinces me to do it myself. Has anyone taken apart their iTouch? I watched a video and the only parts I'm really nervous about are taking off the back cover (I don't want to bend it) and removing the circuit board right above the logic board. It says you have to "pry" it up. Otherwise, it's just removing screws and lifting pieces out. And, if I did it myself I'd get to keep the broken glass part :D (It'd be cool to have :p)

Any suggestions?
    -Shep

12. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

hey man, protection just takes all the feeling out of it... the iPod i mean
    ;)

13. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

But taking the "feel" out of the iPod is a small price to pay for not getting an broken iPod... as I've seen :p

Shep

14. isshou macrumors member

isshou

Right now the iPod Touch is fairly new, but I am sure in a couple months you well have all kind of spares every where and at a reasonable price.

What I would do, is sell it in eBay, there is always some one who will buy it to fix it and being such a new device I am sure you will get perhaps only $100 less of what it cost you.

Afterwards, get a brand new one and a proper case. ;)

good luck!

15. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm guessing you didn't read farther down :p

I found a place called iResQ that repairs it for $100... so if you did read that, what's the point of spending $200 more to get a completely new one if mine right now is in nearly perfect condition besides the screen and a few scratches on the back?

Shep

16. isshou macrumors member

isshou

Yes, I did.

What I meant is; perhaps you could loose $100 if you sell it, and get a new one. You will need to expend $100 to get a new one and not $200.

But any how, it was just an idea based on what I would do.

But as you can imagine, it is up to you! :)

good luck.

regards,
    ro

17. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

So you're saying I can sell the broken iPod for around 250 on ebay and then buy a new one off ebay for 300 from some person? I doubt someone would buy a $400 iPod and resell it new for $100 less than what they got it for (unless it was a stolen new one). I just don't find that very likely...but if I could, I'd be saving aroud $50... that would work well if I could, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon. Good idea though.

Shep

18. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

Fixed!

I just ordered the new screen... iResQ is sending me the "iBox" tomorrow, so I hope I'll have my ipod back by around mon-tues next week. I also ordered the iClear case, and I'm hoping it'll work well.

Thanks for all the help,
    Shep

19. Mapbry macrumors newbie

Thing about these things

Thing about these kinds of things is that you need to be very carefull. All these things are breakable and they wont last forever but caution usually extends the life span by months or years.