Another crash

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Delighted, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Before I set an appointment at the genius bar, I just wnat to check to see if this is a common thing or not.

So far owned ipad for 2 weeks, crashed three times so far(dark screen, spinning wheel, wheel freezes, then returned to lockscreen).

The first time, I was opening twitter.
    Second, entering passcode.
    Third, playing with gestures, opening and closing apps while bored.

Let me know. Is this a common issue?

I am a bit hesitant to take to apple store, because the genius at the store that is close to where i live, they ALWAYS find a reason to not help me with the issue.

They say stuff like "Oh I cant recreate the issue", "try it for another week and if the problem continues, set up another appointment and we'll replace it for you".

2. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

You may want to give a little more info

Like which iPad? What iOS are u running? Jail broken? Etc

3. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

ipad 2, not JB, ios5.1

4. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Must be signs of your 3rd gen iPad overheating.

5. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Both my ipad2 and 3 crash all the time. I think I run a lot of things simultaneously all the time.

6. trek360 macrumors 6502

They will probably tell you to do a clean restore as new and see if you still have the issues.

If you are still within 14 days and don't want to deal with it, return it and try to find another one.

7. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

No such issues here, I'd return and try another.

8. AJayAgliolio macrumors member

AJayAgliolio

Doesn't sound normal to me, I don't think any of my iPads (1, 2 or 3) have ever crashed in that manner. I've had the occasional app crash but not the whole OS.

9. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

No real issues with mine except iTunes is a buggy as hell. Crashes non stop and doesn't respond to inputs very well

10. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

No crashes. Do you know how to close your running apps?

11. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

yes

----------

surprisingly, itunes has been stable for me, but lets not jynx it.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

13. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

never had that happen to my ipad 1 or 3 (didn't buy 2).. and i have them loaded. the 3rd gen has about 1.5gb of free space left and ~20gb of apps, 2-3 gb of photos and 2-3 gb of music.

i experience a crash with pulse news about once a week (much less than what the 1st gen was experiencing). but other than that, it's running perfectly (and no overheat that i can see, of course, i mostly have older games that probably don't tax the ipad 3 all that much).

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have had the iCloud settings program crash a couple of times on me, but nothing else.

15. lilatheflirt macrumors member

16. donnaw macrumors 65816

There is a huge thread over at Apple Discussions about the iPad 1 and 2 crashing after upgrading to 5.0. My iPad 2 crashed almost every time I opened Safari. Others reported different apps too. It seemed to stem from a memory problem. I could see the crashes under Diagnostic and Usage.

Mine improved a lot after 5.1 but some are still reporting the issue. There are some sites you will find in the thread that will always crash. You can do a full restore and even that doesn't seem to help on the affected iPads. And not all of them are affected. My husband's iPad 2 nor my grandkids iPad 1 have the issue. But mine did and it's really, really frustrating.

Chech out the thread. There are some steps you can take that have lessened the issue for some folks.

Good luck

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17943722?ac_cid=142432#17943722

17. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

apologies for my ignorance, but where can I find diagnostics?

18. lilatheflirt macrumors member

Settings>About>Diagnostics&Usage>Diagnostic & Usage Data

19. eq2675 macrumors regular

Stupid questions

Do you know how to close apps?

I'm pretty sure even if you power cycle an iPad, those apps tgat were open before the shutdown will be reopen next startup.

Are you running any apps that monitor bandwidth usage?

Worse case backup your iPad, do a wipe, then restore.

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The apps are not still running after a restart--they're just still in the memory as a recently used apps, which is really all multitasking in iOS is anyway--a list of apps you've used recently. Most will freeze in the state they were in when you were using them until you come back to them, some will not. Even so, if you restart the iPad, when you go into one of those apps from the multitasking bar, it will reload fresh.

21. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

Same with me sometimes an app but never the iOS like that

22. noteple macrumors 65816

Ah no

Try a couple of built in apps. Even after a power off and reboot if they are still in the list they will try to restore state from memory leaving you where you left off.
    Network connections non with standing where some pages may be completely reloaded instead of just repainted.

Deleting an app from that last recently used list releases cached state and then you will get a clean start.