Another critique: Wordpress.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by soco, Dec 29, 2011.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Just felt like getting back into writing. Best way to do that is to just write, right? :) I'm not looking to monetize or even gain crazy popularity. I just like the idea of sitting down and putting thought into text for others to enjoy.

Anyhow, I just threw up a basic Wordpress with a minimalistic theme because I don't have the skills, time or patience to do anything grand. Honestly, I don't like complicated looking websites anyway, so it's even better this way for me. I think the pages load too slowly when they're fancy and I've read a few times that unless it's adding to the experience, it shouldn't be on your website. Sounds like a good rule.

So I'm open to any suggestions. I guess even if it's pertaining to the writing, although I'm coming at this more from a web design standpoint, but good writers never turn down criticism.

I'm interested, in the future, in either paying for or contracting someone to design a theme for me, or at least learning how to take the silly parts of this one away such as "Meta" since I have no use for it. I would really love to get into things like coding and design, but there's just no time with a 3-year-old and a house to take care of. It really is a sacrifice lol, but totally worth it.

I've also been told I should do something with the header, but being a minimalist, I'm hesitant.

So that's that. It's in my signature. Thanks in advance. :)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Looks good Mr. Pink. ;)

If you're interested, I can host your site for a nominal fee if needed. But I'm not interested in doing a design, because frankly, I stink at design and graphics.

3. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

I was wondering about that kind of stuff too. I understand hosting to be the place where your site's files and traffic go through, or more literally, the server. But if I have a Wordpress, is that hosting done free by them but only to a limited extent? Do I need additional hosting? Or is that only for big websites that grow beyond what Wordpress' free hosting can provide?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, that's right. Hosting is the server where all the files are stored. Wordpress does all that for you, but if you grow beyond their free limits, then you have to pay for extra space. If you're not going to be adding audio/video files to the site, you should be fine with the free space they give.

5. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Yeah I should be fine then. But I'll keep SandboxGeneral Hosting in mind if anything crazy happens. :)

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Stuff such as meta are widgets can be removed by going to:

Dashboard / Appearance / Widgets

Drag it out to remove.

7. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Yay! Thanks for that. :)

8. russelldirect macrumors member

I like the minimalistic design, and you're writing is the kind of sarcastic that I like. Keep up with posting, I added you in Google Reader. :)

9. JPLC, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

JPLC macrumors 6502

You're right about sites that are noisy and take ages to load. Concerning the long loading or heavy websites, that's not just graphics. It's also about writing clean code and a good host.

I'm not that sure about your statement. Seems like an old one brought up by code lovers. Minimalism was in the old days a way to prevent long loading and traffic overload at large numbers of visitors. These things have changed. The web is a perfect stage to find an audience. The way YOU present it should attract the right audience. One that fits your taste and style. The saver you make it, the broader your audience. But this can work against you because of the lack of identity. Last, mobile devices: Don't make it to small. Use headers and thumbnails. Style als much as you can in CSS.

Again, choose the style that fits you best. There are no rules...

10. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Thanks russell, that's a big compliment. :) Keep up the work with sudo!

11. turbo-works macrumors newbie

turbo-works

Hi Mr. Pink,

My company just put out a new program that will do exactly what your looking to do regarding writing and ease of site design. Check it out and let me know if your interested:

http://www.turbo-works.com/us

12. JPLC, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

JPLC macrumors 6502

13. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Thanks turbo, I went to your site and it scared me. Thanks though. :)