Another dead 3gs, coincidence?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by snoop d, Jun 1, 2011.

1. snoop d macrumors newbie

it seems lately there have been a lot of 3gs dying. Add me to the list. I was in an app and battery died so I put it into car charger and it didn't charge. I went home and plugged USB into pc (windows vista) and it didn't charge. Now I was starting to worry because I wasn't even getting a dead battery screen, just black. I tried different usb cords and no luck there. I tested each with my ipod touch and they worked fine for that. PC couldn't recognize my dead phone, I tried hard-resetting and going into DFU with no luck. I went out and bought a new wall charger and still no luck! Anything I'm forgetting???? It is jailbroken running 3.1.3.

2. PolarMonkey macrumors newbie

mine isn't jailbroken, but i have the exact problem as you on my iPhone 3GS. only thing is i tried charging when my phone was at about 30% it just wouldn't charge up. so it ended up dying a slow death waiting for the moment the battery was all used up.

i brought it to my nearest Apple Store & was advised to make an appointment with the Genius Bar to get it properly assessed. but offhand, the staff who took a look at it says it's either the battery needs to be replaced or the charger port is faulty (i.e. they won't be able to fix it). since it's out of warranty, would it still be worth it replacing the battery? or should i just get round to upgrading to an iPhone4?

tho honestly, i have a feeling it's the charger port. the battery was discharging at it's usual pace - 30% before i went to bed, by morning it was at 20%, soon dropping to 10%. :(

3. mcd08 macrumors newbie

Why upgrade when you can buy a wireless charger for £17 of ebay ;) -Charging port is not needed for it to charge then- you just wont be able to sync it with itunes

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You can get batteries for like $20 on eBay and charging ports for about $15. Your phone is far from dead!