"another device is connected to your network with same IP address"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacDenney, Feb 26, 2011.

1. MacDenney macrumors newbie

Upon awakening my year old iMac, I get a dialogue box that says that there is another device with the same IP address on my network. I click "OK" and the box disappears with no apparent issues, except that it's annoying.

I have the iMac, Macbook laptop, an iPHone 4, and an iPad connected to a Airport Extreme wireless network. The iPhone 4, and iPad have been connected within the last 2 months.

Any help, or explanation etc. would be greatly appreciated

2. celticpride678

When you sleep your iMac, it disconnects from your Wi-Fi network. Then, one of your other devices (likely the iPhone or iPad) is taking the IP address that your iMac just gave up and using it.

Make sure you have a dynamic IP setup in System Preferences.

3. MacDenney thread starter macrumors newbie

dynamic IP setup in System Preferences.

How do I create a dynamic IP setup in System Preferences?

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Have you checked to see if your Mac resolved the problem on its own? I have had that happen but once it got a new address from my Time Capsule, it was happy once again.

5. HacKage macrumors regular

I get this when my iMac goes to sleep using Airport only. Normally I just use ethernet but when I use Airport I usually get these message but I click ok and it seems to sort itself out, I don't need to muck about with it or anything. Unless you have programs specifically using that ip address, I wouldn't worry about it.