Another drinking thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jasonbot, May 15, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My brother and I want to drink Bavaria 0.0% alcohol beer on the weekend. Just for laughs, BTW I'm 17 (1 more year till legality). Anyways, will I get stopped by attempting to buy the stuff? And does it actually taste as bad as it looks in the adverts?

2. 66217 Guest

Not sure, but they should sell you the beer. After all, it has no alcohol.

And yes, it tastes more than bad. I suppose you have drank beer (with alcohol) sometimes, so it won't be hard for you to see the difference.

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Do we really need another one of these threads?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

You want to drink alcohol free beer?:confused: :eek:

If it's alcohol free, get your parents to buy it.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

you know what is really interesting about drinking threads?

nothing whatsoever.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Which begs the questions:

Why read them?
    &
    Why post?

7. shecky Guest

shecky

because i am engaged in a postmodern dialectic.

besides, posting without adding value to a thread has never stopped most of the people on MR from doing so anyway :)

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Never had the alcohol free stuff. Other than sparkling grape juice, which I kinda like. If that was the same price as regular juice I'd buy it all the time. Unfortunately regular local wines can be boughten cheaper than that stuff and I have a higher preference for the real wines.

Non-alcoholic beer must be way grody. Fermentation is suppose to give it that kick of flavor ;-)

9. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Is that the plural of bought? That reminds me of some old school Dane Cook right there...

Moosen!

10. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

Yes it does. I had Kaliber, which is an alcohol free lager, and it was gross. Either get the real stuff and enjoy it or stick with soft drinks. It's a big waste of money.;)

11. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well It's worth a try. And I always love looking incriminating to onlookers :p Personally I think drinking in general is a waste of time but thats for another thread... I'll still go forth with my driking plan and we'll see if anything comical comes of it.

12. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

Don't let us put you off. You will only really learn by doing. Have fun, enjoy yourself and drink responsibly.:)

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    NA beer is fermented. The trick is to use temperatures which aren't conducive to alcohol production as well as using yeasts which don't make as much alcohol.

14. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The regular Bavaria (with alcohol) is already pretty horrid, the alcohol free version is even worse (been a few years since I've had it though!). If you want to drink beer so badly just get your parents to buy it and drink it at home. You won't be breaking any laws in that case.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Wheat beers are generally less bitter and perhaps more suitable to someone who wants to try a beer; I'm sure you can find some which are non-alcoholic - I know Erdinger (one of my favourite beers) has a non-alcoholic variant.

16. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Is it really 0% alcohol? O'Doul's is a non-alcoholic beer, but if you read the label it's like 0.1% or something- and you have to be of legal drinking age to buy that. If it's sold in a liquor store only, you most likely wouldn't be allowed to buy it in any case (at least that's how it is over here).

17. Lau Guest

I'm not drinking at the moment and have partaken in the odd alcohol-free beer. Age wise, I don't know, as sadly I am well past legal age, and when I was that age, I wanted the alcoholic stuff. :D However, I seem to remember reading that you have to be 18 (in the UK at least) to buy it, ridiculous as that seems. It might be worth pointing out it's non-alcoholic if you get stopped, in case they haven't realised and may let you have it.

In the UK, they can also be up to 0.5% alcohol and be called alcohol-free (but not non-alcoholic, bizarrely) I think, which might explain the law and means you might still have to be careful if you can't have any alcohol for medical reasons (although you'd be sick long before you got drunk!). I think most are more like 0.05% though. Looking up, Bavaria seems to be a 0.00% one, so is truly non-alcoholic.

Secondly, just as a heads up, don't think because it's non-alcoholic you can drink tons of it and still feel fine. I, perhaps foolishly, drank 5 bottles of alcohol-free Becks at the weekend, and felt really crappy the next day. 3 or maybe 4 bottles have been fine though.

Taste wise, it's ok. It tastes a bit more watery and is missing the 'sharpness" of normal lager, but the decent ones aren't bad. They certainly seem a good substitute if you're not drinking alcohol (and still make you feel like you're having a posh drink), and it's nice to have a drink after work and not feel sleepy all evening. (Or have a couple with dinner and still be able to stay up till **** knows when in the morning working, which is more likely :eek: .)

18. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

If you really must drink alcohol free (which is usualy 0.01% max or some such really!) then I recomend BECKS alcohol free.

It's the only alcohol free beer I've ever liked!

19. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I don't want to drink so badly, I just wanna mess around- but legally. It's damn easy to buy alcohol illegally but It's just fun to be stupid and silly sometimes. I never realised people can get so uptight about silly teengae things.

EDIT: will my school get angry if I drink BAvaria 0.0% on campus? It's technically not alcohol...

20. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'd say that is pushing your luck :rolleyes: ;)

21. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

This always kind of confused me ...

how many kinds of bavaria are there?

I've seen this one in stores .... (http://www.bavariahollandbeer.us/ingredients.html)

are these the same ones, maybe I'm reading the sheet wrong but those abv numbers looking any other beer around to me ...

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If you're not going to drink it for the alcohol, do your body a favour and ditch the crap in favour of a refreshing bottle of mineral water :D

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes you will get carded, and yes your school will get mad (and potentially subject you to the same sanctions as if you were caught with real beer). Non-alcoholic beer, as noted above, DOES contain a small amount of alcohol. The quantity is insufficient to get you drunk unless you drink a vat of the stuff, however it is sufficient to require that you be of legal age to purchase it.

If you want to drink something that tastes like crap and doesn't get you drunk while you're still below the legal age, just grab a can of Mountain Dew.

24. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Touche! :D

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What's the point of drinking non alcoholic beer, why not just drink water.