Another Dumb Newbie Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by proimage1, Aug 4, 2011.

1. proimage1 macrumors newbie

proimage1

I just switched to Mac from using PC's for the past zillion years. I bought a mid 2010 iMac - 21.5" refurbished from the Apple Store - I love the system and I'm slowly getting used to finding my way around. The refurbished unit came with 4 gigs of Ram - I've since added 4 more for a total of 8. It also stated it came with a 1 TB hard drive - it actually came with a 2 TB hard drive, so I lucked out on that part.

My question is - how do you find out the brand of hard drive - I've searched everywhere to find the actual brand names -- I'm assuming it's not a Seagate, but wanted to verify that - no doubt there's an easy way to check - I just haven't found it .

Thanks in advance !

2. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Open up System Profile and there should be something in the left-hand nav about SATA. From there, you can see the serial number of the drive.

I believe that Western Digital starts with WD and Seagate with ST. Don't have my machine around to confirm.

3. proimage1 thread starter macrumors newbie

proimage1

Sounds great - now, how do you get to system profile ? I'm sure WD would be Western Digital !

4. proimage1 thread starter macrumors newbie

proimage1

I think I've just found it - and it appears it's Hitachi - which I'm ok with - thanks for your help !:)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=297522&stc=1&d=1312476511

Attached Files:

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Click the little Apple in the top left of your screen, then 'About This Mac', then 'More Info'.

Lots of good info there. I don't think you can actually do anything there, so it's perfectly safe to noodle around and look at all the different things.

Welcome to Macs.

(Appears you already got there...)

6. proimage1 thread starter macrumors newbie

proimage1

Thanks - yes, I've seen there and looked around - I actually found it - probably a round a bout way through launch pad, then utilities, then system information ! I've attached a screen grab - can you verify what I'm seeing is a Hitachi 2 TB !

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

One of the cool things about OS X is that there is often 2, 3 or more ways to do something. And of course you will find many threads about the best way to do things on these boards.... many many threads....:)

Glad you figured it out.

8. proimage1 thread starter macrumors newbie

proimage1

You're right and thanks again for the help -- I went ahead and ran by Best Buy this evening and got the Apple Track Pad -- wow - it's pretty darn slick - it'll take me a bit to get used to it - but I can see the magic mousse collecting dust in the near future ! I'm very happy with my new iMac and yes, I'm also really happy with Lion -- so far I haven't had any issues at all and couldn't be happier. I still have a really good PC running Win 7 sitting right beside the Mac - I had considered putting Win 7 on the Mac - but the way I'm setup right now is working really well, so I'm gonna be patient and have the best of both worlds. I'm glad I finally did get a Mac - should have a long time ago to be honest.

Take care and thanks again !

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

Glad it's working out for you!

Two hints.... These apply to Snow Leopard, so they may not apply to Lion... if not just ignore.

1) Open up Text Edit (or any other simple program) and put a couple of letter or some other stuff. Doesn't matter what, and you'll be throwing the the content away. Now Save the file, but... before you type in a name find the little triangle to the right of where you would type in the name. Click the triangle and (at least in SL - if you haven't done this already) you'll find a much more useful dialogue for saving files. Clicking the triangle expands and minimizes this dialogue. I find the expanded version useful, and the minimized version useless. Once you've set it here it will carry across to all of your programs.

2) Do the same thing for the Print command. Just look for the little 'disclosure' triangle and you'll find the expanded dialogue.

Cheers