Another dumb question about Windows 7 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hugh, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Okay, I have a package of Windows 7 Upgrade, and found out my key doesn't work for clean install (MS really?). Is there anyway to get Windows XP on a 2012 MacBook Pro so I can do the upgrade they way they want it done? :/

Why it couldn't be the same as XP upgrade I will never know. :(

Hugh

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Nope.avi
    The 2012 macbooks only support Win7 or higher.

But there's plenty of ways to use windows without a CD key. Can't recommend that but they're available.

3. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I figured that was the case, so now I have the Upgrade version with a legal code and can't use it. :(

To bad Home is so expansive, I would buy it and use my Upgrade that way.

Thanks to mention other ways to get around this, but I'm not interested in to doing any illegal way, when I have a legal license/code. :/

Hugh

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

It's a perfectly reasonable question, although when I recommended the upgrade version I did link you to these steps:

The Other way is to just re-install the Upgrade over itself. If it still won't accept the product key, than there is something wrong and you would need to call the activation phone number.

5. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Actally it did work. I did a clean install of Pro, and without updating any drivers (just using gernic windows drivers). I put the disc back in and told it to do an 'Updrade'. It took like hour and half before it was done with all the retarts and what not. Then I just entered my key to activate the windows and it worked, so I'm a happy camper again. :D

Why you can't do a clean install without installing the other OS (in my case Windows 7 Pro),I will never understand. :confused:

Hugh

6. Quad5Ny, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Edit: I think I forgot to tell you not to enter your Product Key during setup, so if you did and the registry thing didn't work... Well that's why. :x

---

:p Microsoft is weird. But seriously next time just use the steps above, it will save you half an hour.

The little tutorial in the above post changes the same registry key that "Upgrading" over itself does. Then the second step re-arms the license system letting it see that the MediaBootInstall value was changed.

Winsupersite has a whole article on it - http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512