Another Ebay listing... Looking for Opinions on legitimacy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gentlegiantcrai, Aug 26, 2009.

1. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

2. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

It's only a good deal if you need the software and don't care that it's 'preloaded'

Whether it's legal or not, that's hard to tell (although, brooklyn is kinda of a danger sign). I'd buy using AMEX for protection.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the software is stolen, the white macbook is $999 brand new and $749 refurbished (=brand new with warranty) at apple.

Why would you even bother with this listing? A rip off at best.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Feel free to buy if you're in the mood to lose your money and contribute to piracy.

The extra software is worth thousands of dollars. The same scam shows up pretty regularly - enormous amounts of software included in a low ball price.

People who buy from these scammers make the problem worse.

It's also a violation of eBays EULA to sell software without the disks, but eBay doesn't really give a rat's arse as long as they get paid for the listing/sale. Sometimes I think eBay executives get kickbacks from the pirates.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

they only accept PayPal, which is great for scammers since you have very little chance of getting the money back.

6. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Don't bother

I emailed the seller just to check this out for you and he told me the video was x1300...lol, he can't even type it correct, it's x3100. :p

That's the old intel integrated video chip. You can the same(or actually the newest gen refurbished) for much and just get the software yourself for free if you really have no qualms about stealing the software.

I'm not conding it, I'm just saying it's a ripoff. I love how most ebay listings for mb's and mbp's omit the video details ;)

7. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Not true. You have buyer protection through paypal and you can use your credit card with paypal(e.g. AMEX), so you have double protection. That's what gives me some qualms about selling on ebay, so easy for a buyer to use charge back (especially if the say they 'didn't receive it) :p

I don't think this is a scammer. I think they buy the OLD mb's as I've just found out and loaded em with either illegal d/led copies or from one legal set they bought and just redupe. Then they up the total price saying you're getting $1000's of dollar of s/w

Of course, ebay does nothing about it. Wonder why the Software Association doesn't go after ebay like the music industry has gone against individual consumers for d/ling pirated music :mad:

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Probably because eBay gives an official policy that it's against the EULA and then stops the worst violators, who then simply re-register under another name and start over. Or maybe they just pay bribes.

I still wouldn't trust PayPal in this kind of situation.

9. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Unless you're getting the install disks for the applications, I wouldn't bother.

10. G.T. macrumors 6502a

CS3 has issues with snow leopard search for more info on this

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Nobody has the retail version of SL yet (except maybe for the 1 guy in spain and 1 guy in Japan). So this is probably running the latest dev preview which is the same build number as the retail version. But... it will expire Dec 31, I think. So beware.

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Old MacBook. Stolen software. An OS that's going to expire. Costs more than an Apple refurb.

:rolleyes:

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I can tell you that at LEAST the copy of FCP is pirated. You can clearly see where he has blurred out the "registered to" name, meaning he got a copy of Serial Box and found a name and # that worked.