Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
from what i've been reading and experiencing, it seems that yahoo email is the only one that actually pushes your emails to the iPhone and lets you know when you have a new email in real time. I love my gmail account and was hoping to be able to set that up using pop. unfortunately, the most frequent auto update is every 15 minutes. Switching from a Blackberry, every 15 minutes is way too long. i tried to have all my gmail forwarded to a yahoo account. that way i receive all my gmail messages in real time. but then it's annoying that when i reply, it's a yahoo email address instead of the gmail address the original email was sent to.

does anyone know of a work around so that i can keep my gmail email and have it auto notify my iPhone when i get new messages either in realtime or at least 30 seconds to a minute?

cediger

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
...that way i receive all my gmail messages in real time. but then it's annoying that when i reply, it's a yahoo email address instead of the gmail address the original email was sent to.

This is how mine is set-up. As long as people can reach me via email, I don't mind that it has replies coming from a yahoo address instead of my gmail one. Honestly, there is a huge amount of my gmail space that is eaten up because it is keeping my "sure," "k", "thanks" one-liner replies.

The web interface for Yahoo allows you to set-up a reply-to other than your yahoo address, so I don't think it's impossible that we won't see this feature added-on at some point.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
This is how mine is set-up. As long as people can reach me via email, I don't mind that it has replies coming from a yahoo address instead of my gmail one.
I have subscribed to mailing lists with other identities that all funnel into one account. The posting rules of those mailing lists require that I respond from the email address that are subscribed to the list. To me, it's a very big deal not to be able to respond to emails with the iPhone because it does not understand identities and has no place for rules.

I mean, almost every other email reader on the planet can understand identities, roles and email filtering rules (incoming and outgoing), so why hasn't Apple considered this on the iPhone. As cool as it is, it's really WAY too simple to be all that useful.

-jt2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.