Another External Hard Drive question but different!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BlackiBook, Dec 8, 2009.

1. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Ok so My parents computer went out on them and they just went and bought a new computer and gave me their dead one, Well it had a 320 GB hard drive in it and I decided to make another external hard drive out of it. So I put into a cheap external case and hooked it up to my MacBook Pro well everything is perfect but now here is my question. The external (used to be internal) has windows vista on it and I was wondering if there is anyway that I could now move the vista onto this computer using bootcamp and now be able to boot into vista? Is this at all possible, and if it is would someone be able to help me get through it?

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Nope, sorry.

Are you by any chance a college student? If so, go to www.win741.com and download Windows 7 LEGALLY for $29.99.

3. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Yeah I have that on my Macbook, so I cant get it again! haha!

But thank you anyway!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You won't easily be able to make a Boot Camp style copy of it but you might be able to use something like VMWare Converter or P2V Assistant to convert it over to a virtual machine.

Something along these lines:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/p2v_thirdpartyimage.pdf

There is also the question if this is really in line with the Vista license since it was most likely an OEM license that is not supposed to be transferable to another box.

You'll have to re-activate if you do get it over and see if Microsoft will let you do it.

B