Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I'm in desperate need for an external hard drive as my PB's is starting to get a tad full. I've been looking around everywhere and there are just too many possibilities. I'm looking for something in the 160-250GB range, firewire/USB and looking to spend up to AU$250 (around US$190). So far I've found 2 possibilities on eBay:

LaCie 160GB - $205
Blueye O2 200GB - $189

What do people think of these? I know the cheaper one is sort of a no-name brand, but it is a bit bigger. The LaCie looks a bit better, but is more expensive. Are there any other advantages in getting the LaCie? Or should I look at something completely different?

Thanks in advance, for any advice! ;)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
max_altitude said:
I'm in desperate need for an external hard drive as my PB's is starting to get a tad full. I've been looking around everywhere and there are just too many possibilities. I'm looking for something in the 160-250GB range, firewire/USB and looking to spend up to AU$250 (around US$190). So far I've found 2 possibilities on eBay:

LaCie 160GB - $205
Blueye O2 200GB - $189

What do people think of these? I know the cheaper one is sort of a no-name brand, but it is a bit bigger. The LaCie looks a bit better, but is more expensive. Are there any other advantages in getting the LaCie? Or should I look at something completely different?

Thanks in advance, for any advice! ;)

If you dont need both FW and USB you could get a 250GB Lacie for that sort of money (~$290) or less from EYO

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=28_51_198&products_id=1935
http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_E-300728...rnal_Hard_drive_250GB_7200rpm_Porsche_P3.html

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=28_51_198&products_id=4

Or a Maxtor 200 GB for a bit less http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I second what aswitcher.
I am getting the lacie 250 fw to go with my lacie 160. 160 just wasn't enough apparently!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for the replies guys! :)

I always find it difficult good places to buy online that are in Aus.

I think I've narrowed it down to either 250GB LaCie for $280 or 250GB Maxtor for $250. Are there any quality differences or is it just their looks?

Thanks again!

iPhil

macrumors 68040
if you want the ext drive to be bootable then firewire is the way to go ..

On paper usb 2.0 connection is faster than firewire but in actual tests its the other way around firewire is faster because fw has higher packet rate/longer sustained periods than usb 2.0 :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
iphil said:
if you want the ext drive to be bootable then firewire is the way to go ..

On paper usb 2.0 connection is faster than firewire but in actual tests its the other way around firewire is faster because fw has higher packet rate/longer sustained periods than usb 2.0 :D
Thanks iphil!

That's what I thought, it was just the "on paper" specs that were confusing me a little. It being bootable isn't so much the issue, more speed and keeping a USB port free.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
max_altitude said:
Thanks iphil!

That's what I thought, it was just the "on paper" specs that were confusing me a little. It being bootable isn't so much the issue, more speed and keeping a USB port free.

I just recently bought a G Drive external HDD (250GB, SATA2), and it's been great. Has FW400, FW800, USB2, and ESATA. No fans, so it's quiet. I figure, when I fill this drive, I'll just buy another (larger cap.) drive, and swap it out.. I really like this drive, because my PB has FW800, so backups are super quick.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Thanks again for everyone's advice!

I ended up buying the LaCie 250GB FireWire, for $290 from a seller on eBay. I considered the Maxtor, but I thought that the looks of the LaCie were worth the extra $40. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.