Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiMip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Tasmania, Australia
I have a 2gb SanDisk microSD card 'PWNIES' (don't ask), that I have had no issues with for about a year. Just recently I plugged it in to my Mac G5 using a microSD USB reader, and it came up with the following error:

"Disk Repair. The disk "PWNIES" was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disk as soon as possible."

The limited functionality being that I could only read it. I'll mention at this point that it can be read perfectly ok by everything else I have put it into.

So I decided to see what I could do through Disk Utility, and the answer is nothing. It fails to verify or repair it: "Disk utility stopped verifying (or repairing) "PWNIES" because the following error occurred: Filesystem verify or repair failed." as well as erase it: "Volume Erase failed with the error: MediaKit reports bad partition or no map found.".

I have no idea what to do. If I do have to reformat it, could someone please give me details/a link as to how I would go about doing that. I don't care if I lose everything on the disk, as none of it is important to me, but I would like to repair and regain proper use of my microSD. Can anyone help? I can post the verification/repair details if necessary.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Was this drive formatted for PC?
I have a 4G flash drive and was told by one of the senior members of my local Mac User group to format it on a Mac using a compatible file system for all pcs in order to be swapable.

Ignore if you've already done this.

durija

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
A lot of flash drives (thumb drives, USB sticks, etc.) come preformatted as FAT16 or FAT 32, so they will be readable by both Macs and Windows. I am guessing that it is the same with many, if not most, other portable memory cards. In any case, you should still be able to read and write to a FAT drive.

NiMip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Tasmania, Australia
A lot of flash drives (thumb drives, USB sticks, etc.) come preformatted as FAT16 or FAT 32, so they will be readable by both Macs and Windows. I am guessing that it is the same with many, if not most, other portable memory cards. In any case, you should still be able to read and write to a FAT drive.

Yeah that's correct. Disk Utility tells me it's formatted as "MS-DOS (FAT16)". How can I reformat it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.