Another external monitor question - 13" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by swamesp, Oct 17, 2011.

1. swamesp macrumors regular

Hello All,

I have a 13" MBP (2010 model, 2.4Ghz) and feel the screen space is terribly small while post-processing on my photographs. My workspace is bit small and would like to stay within 23-25".

Monitors are strictly NOT for games, but for technical usage.
    - Any suggestions on the resolution
    -the aspect ratio.

Please share your thoughts.

I heard that the NEC monitors are good. How about this NEC (EX231W-BK)? Any idea about DELL ultra sharp 2312HM?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

between the two, the Dell is better due to its IPS panel, however, you may want to consider the 24" dell ultrasharp, as it will give you an additional 120 vertical pixels, which is always useful when editing.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

what about a refurbished apple cinema display 24"

4. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

@alust2013, I'd definitely consider that. thanks for directing me there.

@wrinkster22, apple displays are definitely out of my budget. I cannot afford that as my budget is to be within 300-400, if I could get a ips panel, that would be great.

Workspace is pretty small (a small table from IKEA). So i'm thinking to buy a twisting arm - mount such that monitor doesnt use the table space.

5. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

I have finalized on two different monitors.

DELL U2312HM vs NEC EA 232WMi

Both are 6 bit + WFRC, while dell has better response time (no lag at all) while NEC is bit slower. Since I won't game, I believe these do not matter for me.

Other than this, what would you suggest for a user like me.

thanks.

6. lynx1600 macrumors newbie

I have a HP ZR22W that i just got. It's a 21.5" monitor, 16:9 ratio with a S-IPS panel. I've had it for about 2 weeks and it works great. I got mine off Craigslist but I've seen them on Amazon for around $240ish. Its very similar to the Dell U2211, pretty sure that they have the same panel to be honest.

7. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

I think i'm going with NEC EA232WMi, will post the feedback shortly. Thank you all.

8. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I just got the HP as well. Great monitor for the price

9. BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

14 ms response time? Sounds very slow to me.
    Fortunately you don't want to use it for games, because otherwise, there are monitors with 2 ms out there.

10. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Price difference between hp and nec is about $20 but there is extra addition of HDMI port and comparitively bit faster (in milliseconds).

Any reseller who would take back the monitor without stokcing fee if I don't like the monitor? This is going to be my first product from HP (apart from printers).

Any suggestions.

11. BobbyCat, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

Actually, I just checked and noticed that the Apple Thunderbolt display has a response time of 12 ms. So maybe response time isn't that important after all?

I've used a Samsung 22" SyncMaster 2232BW (with 2 ms) for 3 years; it's been - and still is - really nice and perfect with my MacBook 13".

12. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense, now it comes down to HDMI port difference and the screen size. Extra 1.5" or a HDMI port?

Where does this HDMI come into play? Connecting my camera (with hdmi) to this directly? I saw a review where it said that HP e-IPS is not bright enough. I'm not sure if that's true.

I wish there is a store nearby to have both these monitors on display.

13. BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

Well there's nothing like seeing the real thing. When I bought my external Samsung, I took my MacBook to a big store, picked up the very best and brightest monitor within my price range, and hooked up the laptop a few minutes to make sure everything was flawless. Can't rely only on what other people say, as personal experiences may vary.

14. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

Samsung 26" is very nice

Hi

I use a Samsung 26" and it is great, multiple inputs (DVI, HDMI, VGA), MATT screen which is great for photography as the colour is easy to calibrate. Only (only ??) Full HD resolution (1920 x 1200) and good value, cost me £280 in the UK a year ago, so probably cheaper now

15. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

That's very true, I'm gonna try both the monitors, trying to find if there are any shops that has both in CT, USA.