Another Fantasy Apple Product Thread

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Prodo123, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Many of you guys use Aperture, and all of you know that the icon for Aperture is a camera lens.
    I looked at its details, and the lens seems no say "Designed by Apple in California" and "50mm 1:1.4".
    That brings this idea to the table: what if Apple actually designed a 50mm f/1.4 lens? Would you buy it? How would it look (probably like a Zeiss)?

And most important of all, would the front element be rainbow colored like the Aperture icon? :D

2. ndpuckhead macrumors member

I think Apple should stick to making computers. Just because they make a great computer doesn't mean they would make a great camera, let alone glass.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And for what company would they design this lens?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It seems silly but I'm sure some people would buy it simply because it says Apple.

5. ndpuckhead macrumors member

Especially if you could get it in white, lol.

6. Bear macrumors G3

For what camera? What would make it worth buying over the existing Canon/Nikon/Zeiss/etc lenses?

They would have to do it for several different lens mounts which complicates the inventory and the electronics in the lens. Or it could only sell to a small fraction of the people who buy lenses

Unfortunately true.

Don't laugh, black lenses absorb heat from the Sun, white lenses reflect heat (to an extent). Canon actually makes several lenses where part of the lens body is white.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Fantasy Apple Product Thread?

I'd like a MBP that would run cooler when pushed hard.

The nature of my work is demanding, it'd be nice to not have to take a break to let my MBP cool down.

(I've even removed the excess gobs of thermal paste & redone it myself)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think this is a stretch, making a lens makes sense provided you are wanting to invest in a camera platform. Each maker uses it own mounts and you have to deal with differing sensor sizes which impacts the design of the lens.

Given Apple's propensity on pricing, I'd say I'd not be willing to overspend on a Lens just because it has a fruit logo on it.

Apple has no experience in lens design and the fact that we're talking about different mounts and different sensor sizes means different designs and the market is very mature - almost no chance at making a profit.

9. ndpuckhead macrumors member

I know, I have one. I was just making an iphone reference;)

10. Ruahrc, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

Ruahrc macrumors 65816

It would certainly not look like a Zeiss. In fact in many ways Apple is the antithesis of Zeiss.

Zeiss lenses have, uniquely among modern lenses, depth of field markers for many apertures. They are manual focus only. Many of their lenses also have aperture rings. They are designed for technical or serious photographers.

Apple's lens would not have any buttons or focus ring. There would be no way to manually focus the lens. You would have to autofocus the lens and accept the choice that the camera made for you. The body would be machined entirely from a single cylinder of white plastic. The focus distance indicator would not have numbers (english and metric) like Zeiss lenses. Numbers are too technical for the average photographer, and so is deciphering between english and metric. It would have a stylized icon of a flower at the near focus stop because that's where you focus when shooting macro. A person's head in the midrange because that's for portraits, and the infinity focus stop would be a mountain because that's what you use for landscapes. This indicator would actually be a touchscreen LCD display so that you could not see it in the sunlight nor use it with gloves, and there would be a sensor to automatically regulate the brightness in dim or dark conditions.

All the settings like aperture and focus would be automatically decided for you by the camera. It would come in glossy white, not have any weather sealing (note: Zeiss lenses actually do not have any weather sealing) and with no hood because lens hoods are too serious for the average photographer. It would also have no filter thread because that is also too serious and too fiddly for the average photographer. However, the lens would have a built-in protective pane of thin, impact resistant oleophobic gorilla glass. Instead, filter effects will be applied using 3rd party software apps you download into the lens from the App store. These apps would be transferred to the lens via wifi connection. There would be a few extra contacts on the lens mount that would be used to charge the internal, non user-replaceable battery by setting it in the provided charging cradle which you connect to your Mac. You choose which "software filter" to apply via a simplified ipod nano-like UI that is integrated into the focus distance display. Except when you're wearing gloves because it's touch-screen only. Or, you would be able to download an app for your iPhone that would allow you to set the software filters via bluetooth connection.

A cottage industry of manufacturers would spring up making convoluted and overpriced solutions to mount lens hoods and filters onto the Apple lens. Also a plethora of large, brightly colored, oversized and overprotective cases will crop up to protect the apple lens. These may or may not severely hamper what usability the lens does have, but will still prove popular because of the ease by which the glossy finish could be scuffed up and attract fingerprints.

:)

Ruahrc

11. ndpuckhead macrumors member

12. iDabble macrumors regular

We have someone with too much time on their hands..

13. Bear, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

Bear macrumors G3

I guess that includes you since you posted that comment.

Oh wait, I guess that includes me now as well for replying to you. Oh well. :cool: