Another feature missing from Disk Utility

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by tripmusic, Aug 27, 2015.

1. tripmusic, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

tripmusic macrumors 6502

tripmusic

You can no longer select multiple partitions or drives within Disk Utility via Command-Click to mount or unmount. Nor can you Control-Click on partitions in the Disk Utility sidebar to mount or unmount. These are simple must-have features for me. I do not wish to waste time mounting each partition one at a time. Come on Apple!!!

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Maybe you can batch mounting them in terminal? Although I may assume OS X still need to mount each partition one at a time.

3. tripmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

tripmusic

I shouldn't have to resort to Terminal for features that have been in Disk Utility forever.

4. Barrierfreeman macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

I can only assume Disk Utility is last item on their ToDo list. As it's about as useful as a jpg of Yosemite's Disk Utility.

5. tripmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

tripmusic

I just don't understand why they would omit a feature that has been with the app for years now

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It's Apple; they routinely remove features and call it "a new feature".

7. tripmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

tripmusic

Ok thanks... I guess I'll have to re-install Yosemite at some point then. Lol

8. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

9. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

If Disk Utility isn't improved before Sept 30 I see room for a third party app. It really is that bad. I had a USB stick with Linux distro on it, named "Bodhi Linux 3.1." Possibly because of the dots Disk Utility El Cap version wouldn't erase it due to "error". My partner still has Yosemite, he's not really into beta versions, well guess what – Yosemite had no problems erasing the USB stick. But I don't really feel like keeping Yosemite on his computer only so that I can format USB sticks, and it's not going to help me unmount partitions on my machine (which I am now doing with terminal commands).

It really feels like they're dumbing down the system. Disk Utility Yosemite >>> Disk Utility El Capitan. iPhoto >>> Photos (if only because I can drag photographs straight to Photoshop, really Apple, this shouldn't be so hard to add). Maybe people who suggest iOS and OS X are going to become one are right. The new Disk Utility certainly looks like something iOS related.