Another Firefox thing I wish Safari had

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse, Dec 13, 2007.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    Please don't get me wrong... I love Mac and Safari's fairly "clean" and has some bells and whistles Firefox doesn't. :cool:

I do a lot of bookmarking, and have lots of folders and subfolders on my bookmarks menu which makes the act of adding a bookmark painful. When I add a new bookmark in Firefox the folders are exactly that... folders, and I don't see all the subfolders and subsubfolders unless I click them open. But when I add a bookmark in Safari they are all open, but with the subfolders and subsubfolders and subsubfolders just indented.

I have so many I get lost looking down my list! So when I'm trying to find the right folder for my bookmark, is there any way to turn these paragraph like indents into actual folders I can click open or closed?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what bookmarks are you referring to? theres essentially 3. the bookmarks bar, menu and bookmarks page which opens when you click the icon on the very left of the bookmarks bar.

the bookmarks bar can hold just one folder which opens downwards which you probably already know.

the bookmarks menu can hold lots of folders which you manage within the bookmarks page. i tested having two hierarchal folders and they dont all open at the same time you can just mouse over to open them like in the pictures below.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

in the bookmarks page you can have all the folders opened hierarchically or close them all like in the picture below. this is where you edit the bookmarks you shouldn't really use it to open them. which of these views is the one your having problems with?

[​IMG]

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Thanks for that. It's mainly in the act of bookmarking that I'm concerned. I have lots of bookmark folders on the menu, so when I'm actually adding a bookmark it takes a fair bit of panning up and down the following list.

[​IMG]

It just goes on and on and on.....but here in Firefox I have a copy of the bookmarks, and see how the folders are all closed and I can just click on the main "Category" and then I'm pretty much there.

[​IMG]

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im not really that sure actually…sorry! is that safari in the first pic? ive never seen safari bookmark folders look like that. i think its because you made the bookmarks in firefox and then imported them into safari but safari doesnt understand the structure.

you may have to redo them. i think the easiest way to do this would be to start fresh bookmarks in safari and try dragging in the firefox bookmark folders into safari's bookmark page. if this works you would be able to drag folders and nestle them in other folders. the outcome would be like my second pic.

5. mirffy macrumors member

thomas,
    I think what eclipse is referring to is not what you're pointing out.
    If I'm not mistaken, your screenshot is from the equivalent of what's called the "bookmarks manager" in firefox.

What eclipse is referring to, is the overview of folders in the window that pops up, when you click on "bookmark this page" or just hit command-d. Then you can select which folder to place the bookmark in. This menu seems to lack the option of collapsing the folders in Safari.
    Just try it yourself, when you click on "add bookmark" in safari, and want to add it to a subfolder.

eclipse:
    i know, everybody's bookmarking habit is different. I find it hard to order bookmarks, because so many of mine fit in to more than one folder. What a friend of mine does is he just adds bookmarks when ever he spots interesting stuff, but does not organise them when adding them. At some later point he will go through the bookmarks and sort them at some later time.
    Maybe that would help?