Another forgotten passcode story

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jackryan57, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jackryan57 macrumors regular

Ok, here goes. My wife calls me in a panic, she said she went into her settings to disable the passcode because she is tired of a passcode. Somehow instead of disabling it, she changes the passcode and now doesn't know what it is (I know, I don't believe it either).

So, she knows it has to be something very close to her original passcode so she starts trying similar ones. After being locked out for periods of time for too many tries, she finally gets in....wait, it gets better.......she doesn't know what combo she used to get in because she "did it fast like she would have, and got in".

So now she is in and wants to disable the passcode but, you guessed it...she needs the passcode to disable the passcode. So I told her to disable the auto lock so it won't lock up on her and now she is trying codes again to disable the passcode.

So, her phone is unlocked but if it locks again she won't be able to unlock it again. Now that it is unlocked is there any way to disable the passcode without knowing the passcode?

She hasn't done a back up in a while so if we try a restore she will lose a lot of contacts etc. If she does a sync now and then restores from this back up will this passcode be on this back up?

Thanks....don't flame me, every stupid word I just typed is true

2. jackryan57 thread starter macrumors regular

Holy crap almost 700 views in two hours? love the activity in these forums...she finally figured out which password she used so she was able to disable the passcode.

I should pass this little tip along, you can bypass the whole timeout thing by plugging it into itunes and then right click on device and click "transfer purchases"....that clears the timeout wait.

Not sure if this will ever help anyone out but it helped my wife, she could then try as many combos of her old password as needed until she hit the right one