Another freezing case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martinocando, Apr 28, 2017.

1. martinocando, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

This time, I think I narrowed it down to battery power. I received my 15 inch MBP with Touchbar a couple days ago, and ran the migration assistant on my old mac (2015 model), and connected them both via an ethernet cable. It took around 3 hours, but I ended up with all my software and settings. I still needed to move a few licenses here and there, re-join my AD Domain, but for most part, I'm very happy. Although, just today, it started happening something odd.
    I can run my mac all day in my desktop, connected to the charger, and it won't skip a bit, but I took it for a few minutes to IT to join the domain, and when I opened it before the technician, it froze completely. The cursor was blinking on a document I was typing, but it was completely unresponsive, not even the touch bar. So I forced restarted it, and finished what I was doing.

I went back to my desk, and continued working normally. Then I had a meeting, and took my mac with me. Opened it, and started typing a minute of the meeting, then it froze again. Exactly the same behavior. Both times I was on battery. Force rebooted, and finished my meeting with no more issues.

Went back to my desk again, and continued working with no issues for the rest of the day. Went to my room to prepare to go home, and opened my mac to download a couple things on the hotel wifi, which is very fast. Watched a few videos, and at the middle of a 5 minute one, it froze again. This time the image froze, along with everything else, but the audio continued for a few seconds.

Since I was in a hurry, I force shot it down, and put it in my bag.

Now, of the three times, I didn't really waited to see if it would un-freeze by itself, I guess I can do the test tomorrow at home, but I'm really worried that I won't be able to use it normally while on battery power. Thankfully, most of the reports I've read here and on the web, mention that is not hardware but software related, so hopefully I can fix it without replacement. This one took a month to arrive, so I don't really want to wait a whole month again for a new one.

Any ideas where I can start to troubleshoot? A log or dump someone can check for me?

This is the 2.7Ghz model, with the 4GB Radeon Pro 460 and 1TB SSD. Sierra 10.12.4.

Thanks

2. martinocando thread starter macrumors regular

martinocando

UPDATE: Ok, it looks like is not battery power related either. I just moved the computer to my musical rig, hooked the audio interface, fired up MainStage, and did an hour of rehearsal with no power connected, and didn't froze.
    The most likely reason now is that it happens after wake up from sleep. And I do remember a few threads about that issue, so I'll update this one accordingly.