Another frustrating airport problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kristofer, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

Hi guys. I'm at my wits end about this, and I would be so happy if I could get some information on how to fix this error.
    When my Macbook has been asleep, the connection always dwindles down when I boot it up and start using it. The connection goes down to three bars or two, I turn it off and try to turn it back on and it doesn't connect at all after that, it tells me none of my wireless connections could be found, and would I like to join Linksys (My router). I click yes, and it tells me, unhelpfully, that there was an error joining the network. The only way I can get it to work is to go and unplug my router and plug it back in.
    This wouldn't be as bad if I had been doing this the whole time I'd had a macbook, but I've had it for over a month and this problem just started up a few days ago.
    I know tons of people are having these same problems but I can't find any solutions specific to me.
    I've tried downgrading my airport version and i can't install them without an ip address and password (WHAT!?!?!) and another one sent me to a BLANK list of base stations. When I checked base stations another time to find my network or whatever, there was absolutely nothing there in the list.
    Will someone PLEASE help me??? :(
    I don't know anything about Macs, this is my first one.
    Thank you..
    Kris

2. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

I don't know if it is the Macbook, but I was having similar problems like you are describing with my Linksys router WRT54GS.
    I cured the problem updating the firmware on the router to 1.52 (only available via the US website)

Hope this helps,
    :eek:

3. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

The router I use is hooked up to a PC. Would I have to search for the firmware you speak of (would it be on the Linksys site?) on my PC and update it there, I should I try searching/updating it on my mac?

4. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

www.linksys.com site and then head for the support section and select your router from the drop down list.
    Make sure you check the bottom of the router for the version number (you must download the correct vesion or you could end up with a linksys coloured brick!)
    Use the PC (God forgive me) as long as this is wired to the router DON'T try to do this wireless ever:mad:
    :)

5. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll try this and post back if it's helped or not.

Ps. Is there any way to keep your Airport on at all times, even in sleep mode? Once it's on it stays on generally, and disconnecting when it goes to sleep is what seems to throw off the connection.

6. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

Im not sure to be honest - even when 'asleep' my Mac (using Entourage) will still get it's emails so it doesn't appear to 1, ever loose it's connection or 2, ever really be asleep:confused:

Good luck and drop me a PM if i can help in any way!:)

7. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Another question: If my problem is not solved, can I go to the store I bought this Macbook at to figure out what's wrong with it, or would I be better off calling Apple? I'm getting sick of trying to fix things myself.

8. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Hello??
    Hey, how come Linksys offers a .bin file for download? i've never seen something so stupid. What's more, deamon tools can't open it.
    I hate computers.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's normal - the .bin file is the firmware, and is not compressed or encoded. You typically upload these to the router using its web interface - that's what I had to do for my Linksys router when I upgraded its firmware.

10. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure what you mean. How do I do that?

If I go to networks on my PC i see a link to what appears to be the router but it asks me for a user name and password if i click it. I never set up a user name or password for it. How do I know what to put in these fields??

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This information is in the router's manual. For most Linksys routers, the default is a username of admin and a blank password.

12. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

Linksys is normally the other way round

Username : 'blank'
    Password : admin

I ahve also found this at Appledefects.com

"The airport shuts off after a period of inactivity when on battery power. My solution is to open a terminal and type:
    nohup ping -i 10 google.com > /dev/null &
    This will prevent the airport from sleeping until your next reboot."

this wont help if the problem is the router, but after updating if you still have a problem then you could try this.

Finally, keep at it, if you fix the problem then the feeling of satisfaction is immense and you learn a lot about you Mac, router etc.