Another Genius Bar Store (No Solution in sight)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davyvfr, Mar 16, 2013.

1. davyvfr macrumors regular

NOTE TO MODS: THE TITLE SHOULD READ "ANOTHER GENIUS BAR STORY (NO SOLUTION IN SIGHT)"

Hello,

There have been a lot of Genius Bar stories on this forum so I thought I would share mine:

The story starts when I call AppleCare about my MacBook Pro problems. I was out of warranty so it makes sense they would refuse service. The gentleman on the phone offered suggestions so I took his word for it to bring it to the Apple Store.

My MacBook Pro Mid 2012 was taken in for service to the Genius Bar four days ago with; a Shift key that fell off, Spotlight not indexing the hard drive, and my MacBook Pro waking up from sleep when the lid was closed. I signed off on service for repair, and within three days I got a call from a Genius stating they reinstalled OSX Mountain Lion (and replaced Shift Key) and that my sleep issues were caused by Caffeine, the third party app that keeps your Mac awake. I assumed this guy was right since he was a Genius, but I quickly found his solution was not a solution after all (which is to install no third party apps, which means don't install apps other than Apples)

I bring my MacBook home and guess what? Sleep issue is still there but there is another problem, iTunes no longer works (it crashes every single time) and my MacBook Pro is so SLOW that it can't even do simple task like opening Finder. SMC reset and PRAM reset didn't fix this.

I call my local Apple Store demanding to speak to the manager, and she offers her apologies and I tell the manager I am not going to wait 3-5 days to have my MacBook "fixed" again. So I also tell the manager that if an OSX restore is necessary, it would be done right there and then, not later. Funny enough, every Apple device I purchased from this store was defective in some way.

After being extremely angered, I call AppleCare (even though I am still out of warranty) and state I spoke to the manager and that she gave me permission to get free AppleCare service for this one time (which is not true). The lady on the phone got permission to help me and we ended up reinstalling the whole entire OSX, and my MacBook Pro is back up to speed. Fast and good to go. But one issue still persist, my Sleep/Wake issue. Is this caused by a third party app? NO, because I have reinstalled OSX and set up as a NEW Mac, nothing transferred.

I am confused as what to do now, should I go back to my Apple Store? AppleCare wont help me because it obviously isn't a software issue. My Sleep/Wake problem is as follows:

MacBook is on, lid open. I tell it to go to sleep, and it does (with lid still open). I close the lid, and guess what? The MacBook wakes up but then goes back to sleep after a minute. Why is it bad? Well, I don't want damage to data stored on my hard drive if I decide to move it right away.

What would you do now???

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Are you on 10.8.3, because that one seems to solve a few problems, 10.8.2 had massive sleep issues, I had as well as so many others, so if it has 10.8.2 update through software update.
    If this does not help there are tricks to get it "solved" I did on my Mini and did not have sleep problems after this "fix"

3. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your response. It is greatly appreciated.

I have updated to 10.8.3 and the issue is still there. I am debating and wondering if it is a hardware issue? What "fixes" do you suggest?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Open Terminal and enter"

pmset -g

My output is the following:

Currently in use:
    standby 0
    powerbutton 1
    womp 0
    autorestart 1
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    networkoversleep 0
    disksleep 10
    sleep 0
    autopoweroffdelay 14400
    hibernatemode 0
    autopoweroff 0
    ttyskeepawake 1
    displaysleep 10 (display sleep prevented by 18)
    standbydelay 4200

I changed the ones in Bold, they where set to 1, both of them.

you can change these settings by entering:

pmset standby 0
    Enter password
    Enter
    pmset autopoweroffdelay 0
    Enter password
    Enter

Then after this check again with pmset -g if the settings changed.
    That's it, and hopefully it will resolve it for now.
    You can easily revert back by changing the 1 to 0 or the other way around.

5. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thank you. I will try this. Do you think its possible to be a hardware problem?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Don't think so, just try and see what happens.

I think the switch to put it to sleep is a magnetic switch, can't go much wrong with it.

7. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

I just find it interesting another MacBook Pro 13" 2011 (running Lion) can go to sleep and stay asleep. I am strongly betting its a hardware issue, how could this issue appear out of nowhere? Maybe if software was an issue I would see it when I updated to 10.8.2, or 10.8.3, but out of nowhere I have this issue.

8. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

itsfunny how u could screw up a macbook.
    how is the warranty done if its a "mid 2012" model LOL

9. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Apple Care Warranty is over (90 days only) Hardware w/ Parts and Labor is still active (you get 1 year)

10. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

buy apple care , apply it and take it back to apple store.

Apple care can be bought and applied anytime beore the original warranty is up AND ur phone support gets extended as well.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Apple has a history of sleep problems and that's why I am pretty sure it's not your hardware, also, now with ML there are a lot more processes going on and they can all interfere with sleep.
    If the above does not work reset both SMC and PRAM.

----------

Not a favorite of Applecare.

1. Expensive.
    2. not everywhere needed, (certain countries) Europe for instance.
    3. It's most likely a software issue.

12. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I think I might just be done with it and say its a bug. I really don't want to take it back and drive all the way over. I am just surprised Apple didn't check the OS problem.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

No, phone support is over after 90. Applecare is 1 year. Buy a Applecare policy you re-enable phone support and extend to 3 years from date of purchase..

Idea being the 90 days gets the people through setting up a new computer and most that will fail from a hardware standpoint fail early.

14. B... macrumors 68000

B...

That's what he actually said.

15. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

But started the original post saying "I was out of warranty".

Your MBP is under warranty, they just won't provide phone service. As such, your service centre is your local store, and they WILL provide service on your machine.

As such, take it back to the Genius Bar and tell them it still isn't working. Be it a hardware issue or something wrong with your OS X install it is their responsibility to fix it now it cannot be attributed to a third party app. Every MBP should be able to enter and exit sleep without problem.