Another gone back to iOS 6 thread. My thoughts

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by snerkler, Jun 16, 2013.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Well after a few days of using iOS 7 I've gone back to iOS 6 as I had the OS on my daily driver and needed particular apps that don't work with 7.

On first using iOS 7 I hated the new look, far too bland and not as easy to read or distinguish boundaries. It did start to grow on me though and quite liked certain aspects, although I still wasn't blown away. Not bad though.

On returning to iOS 6 it's made me realise how dated it looks. However, I do like the clarity and the ability to easily distinguish borders and buttons. I definitely now see iOS was in need of an overhaul, but I'm just not convinced they've got it right with iOS 7. Some bits look nice, but on the whole it's too white and bland for me, and as already mentioned it's not as easy to distinguish borders and buttons and things. I think due to there being too much white, and not enough clarity it does make iOS 7 more fatiguing to the eyes.

On the function front I think iOS 7 is an improvement. For example, it's driving me mad that I can't just swipe the screen left or right to go forwards and back in safari. And I also miss the control centre. The lock screen os much better on iOS 7 too. I'm sure airdrop will be useful when 'everyone' has iOS 7.

So I'm half and half with iOS 7. Some good new features and functionality. and I also agree with an aesthetic overhaul, I just don't think they've got it right,......yet.

2. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

It's beta. By definition, even Apple don't consider this release finished. A beta isn't meant for you to review and evaluate - it's meant for the dev community to get their hands in and adapt to the new OS, and possible even weed out bugs.
    Sorry, but your appraisal is both pointless, and a little bit meh.

3. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

So you think the UI will change much between now and GM? Good luck with that.

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair point, and to be honest I kind of agree. I wondered this after I'd posted.

I just thought that people UI experiences were as important as bugs though. It's all being well having a bug free OS, but having a nice Os and UI is vitally important. I'd say far more important than having one or 2 bugs. Bugs can be ironed out along the way (like they do with the various OS updates), but the UI appearance doesn't change from iOS 7 to iOS 7.0.1 for example.

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

They've only had 8 months to get the UI to the stage we see now.

They have a further 5 months until iOS 7's launch.

I think they're going to use all the time they've got to improve and evolve the UI before launch, and that we'll see a lot of changes and tweaks throughout the beta period.

6. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

While this is the first "public" beta, it is not the first beta. IOS7 has gone through dozens of internal betas to arrive at where it is now.

Number of times in the past decade Apple has made significant UI changes after releasing a public/developer beta: 0
    Number of times in the past decade Apple has made significant UI changes after posting a preview to its web site: 0

I have no doubt there will be minor tweaks here and there, but I think we are unlikely to see any significant changes unless the iPhone community demands it. Even then, it may make no difference, a la Maps.

I hope you are right. There is a first time for everything.

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

We won't, and here's why.

- It's been shown to the world
    - Sir Jony has done his little video on why the UI is how it is.
    - It's all over the Apple website.

8. kot macrumors regular

There's no reason to go back to iOS6, going back will not accomplish anything. You will be forced to upgrade, regardless of your feelings. Either switch or upgrade.

9. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

This

10. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Not to mention:
    - We've never seen any UI changes during iOS betas in before in history

All these points are very true, but I still stand by what I said.

11. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

b-e-t-a

Attached Files:

12. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I can stick to iOS 6 as long as I keep this phone, but you're right I will no doubt have to upgrade at some point.

For me user experience is more important than having all the functions, this is why I've always had iphone rather than android. A large part of user experience is the way the UI looks, if you don't like what you're looking at you're not going to enjoy the experience.

That being said after a few days I'd gone from loathing it to thinking it wasn't that bad.

----------

Lol. Yes I know it's a beta, and functionality will change. However, I don't think the aesthetics will and this was my point.

13. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

???????????????????????????????????

14. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Definitely agree with this, especially at night.

Didn't know you could swipe from the right to go forwards. Thank you.

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Exactly. This is the first time they've done a UI change at all. Of course there will be more changes as betas progress.

16. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

If you watched the WWDC developer sessions videos, you'd know just how much intense, intricate thought and hard work has been put into the new UI. Xcode 5 is crafted around it, into it and through it - they are inter-meshed symbiotically, it isn't just some afterthought or Jailbreak theme - the UI **IS** the experience of iPhone and iPad - the experience which causes Apple to be so renowned for their incredible design insight.

If you think the UI is going to change, all the best - we'll send you a postcard from the unchanged, final release of iOS 7. The recent flood of threads on the iOS 7 sub-forum, smack of a general public that had some seeds of a grandiose vision of what *they* thought iOS 7 was going to be, and now that it has been revealed, they're reaping the harvest of their disappointment.

Face it, iOS 7 isn't how you want it to be, and that's okay - so why not design your own hardware and OS?

17. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I do notice that the animations take longer, but I'm thinking that it was intentional, and I expect the official version to be basically the same. The whole theme of iOS7 is to give users a sense of context, to give users a feeling that they know where they are, and know where they've been. This is the reason for the new animations such as zooming into an app icon instead of the app just zooming in from the center of the screen. Also, take opening folders in iOS7, it's much more understandable, and you're not blindsided by seeing the folder have 3 columns of icons, and then opening it to see 4 columns of icons like in iOS6. A lot of transitions in iOS6 seem bizarre after using iOS7. I think the purpose of the more lengthly transitions is to allow people to get used to them because they will be very new to most people, but also because transitions provide the user more information than they have in the past. Perhaps they will speed them up over time.

18. syd430 Guest

It's a beta! You're not allowed to test the software or have any kind of opinion on it because every aspect of it will be completely different by the time it launches! In fact it's completely forbidden to make any kind of comment on ios 7 in the ios 7 boards. What did you think this was, a place for discussion?! This forum is for bug reports only.

19. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

That's not a Beta, that's a half-built ship :p

20. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

It's. Not. Finished.

How hard is that to understand?

21. distemp macrumors regular

This post is plainly an example of you being bitchy to someone just because. S/he posted a thread talking about why s/he went back to iOS 6. Why WOULDN'T something like that be posted in the iOS 7 forum?

Or would you just rather this forum stay completely empty until the official release since any discussion is "pointless?"

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Did you not hear when Jony Ive said this was the beginning? Just because things haven't happened in the past doesn't mean they won't happen in the future. I mean how often has Apple shown us a new product with no price or ship date? Yet that's exactly what they did with the Mac Pro.

Being that iOS 7 is so different and obviously still a work in progress there's no doubt Apple is getting a lot of good feedback on more than just big fixes. No there probably won't be major UI changes between now and when iOS 7 ships but I'm quite sure the version that ships will be more polished than beta 1 is.

23. syd430 Guest

I don't think people have some grandiose vision of what they want it to be, I think people just know what they don't like, even if they can't pinpoint why, or design it any better themselves.

Just because Apple has gone to great lengths to detail the brilliancy of the design, it doesn't autmatically follow that it must be objectively true.

If people still hate the overall design (ie something that won't change much before launch) even after using it for some time, then I'd say that they will probably continue hate it. Their complaints are not automatically invalid simply because they cant articulate why they hate it and no amount of explaining of why you should actually like it is going to make any difference.

24. zone23 macrumors 68000

I just hope Apple locks down beta 2 so only those who are supposed to have it get it.