Another good experience with the Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPad' started by netnothing, Oct 1, 2011.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

4 yr old daughter dropped my iPad last week on the tile kitchen floor. It worked fine, but screen was cracked.

Made and appointment today to see what my options were. The Genius was awesome. Said because I hadn't had any other issues with it, they'd do a one-time replacement for free.

Great customer service on an issue that was quite frankly was my fault. I was expecting to have to pay something to get it fixed....or live with it until next year. They did say they don't fix them, only replace. It would have been $269 to replace.

Just thought I share for those thinking they are out of luck with a cracked screen.

-Kevin

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Keep hearing these stories. Makes me wish I didn't buy a replacement screen for my iP4 when I dropped it and a hairline crack slowly made its way across the screen!

3. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Serious question. Why does Apple do exchanges like this? It was obviously your fault. How long had you had the iPad?

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Got the iPad 2 on day 1.

Why do they do this? Probably because they can afford it. I got what was likely a refurbished iPad. They'll send my in to be torn apart for parts to make new refurbs.

It's also clear it's a one-time exception.

I was fine going in if I had to pay $100 maybe $150. Anything beyond that I would have left and waited until iPad 3.

It's also about being honest. I told them exactly what happened. The work order even makes mention of an honest customer.

-Kevin

-Kevin

5. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

My ipod classic suffered from a dollop of yogurt on the click wheel and died. I took it to the genius bar, telling the nice geni what i did and hoping to buy a refurb replacement, and he replaced it saying the moisture detecters were untriggered. Thanks Forrest.

Don't forget many geni are visitors to the city they work in. Consider them at Christmas and such times.

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Good customer service = People wanting to buy more products from Apple in the future.

7. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

Good story.
    Curious -- did you have Apple Care on the iPad?

8. brando123b macrumors regular

It creates brand loyalty. No other retailer would do this. Therefore Apple is building trust with their customers. It's a very simple concept. This is part of the reason why people are so rapid fans and supporters of a BRAND. It's quite impressive that Apple has a following of people who feel HONORED to hand over their money to be able to use their products. Genius Bar...how appropriate.

9. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Nope. Just within the initial year.

-Kevin